Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Pentastar engine for Wrangler - What's the reason for the delay?

I just read a great recap from the Jalopnik website detailing all the improvements Chrysler's made to the '11 Wrangler - click here In fact, Jalopnik concluded the '11 Wrangler is so much better than the '10 version that customers should wait for the new model. (Rather surprising since Jalopnik is mostly anti-Chrysler.)

The question I'm left asking is - Why did Chrysler decide to fast-track the Pentastar V6 into a slow selling vehicle like the Sebring and Avenger and make the Wrangler wait an extra year? Is it a complexity issue, plant capacity, etc?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
birch3x

We're wondering the same thing. We've got a lot of V6's now, and they're in almost everything. Could it be that there are already engines produced that need a home? Then bring out the new ones later.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
Could it be that there are already engines produced that need a home? Then bring out the new ones later.
I doubt Chrysler already has the engines built - most OEMs are big into "just in time" inventories so I can't envision Chrysler having a warehouse of engines that need to find a home.

Like you, I'm convinced there must be a reason why they chose to make the Wrangler customers wait. Logic would dictate that Chrysler would generate more incremental sales by installing the Pentastar in the Wrangler versus the Minivans or sedans.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Txflyer

Might they already be under contract to purchase components for XXX number of 3.8 engines?
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I doubt Chrysler already has the engines built - most OEMs are big into "just in time" inventories so I can't envision Chrysler having a warehouse of engines that need to find a home.
I don't think that is the case. "just in time inventories" may be for product that is not on current vehicle assembly lines and may be for use as parts depot product only.

I remember seeing about a year and 1/2 ago the 6.1L assembly line on an auction block through some heavy-line auctioneer site. It was the whole set-up. I could have sworn that there was a link from allpar.com referencing the auction. If this is the case, then Chrysler would have had to have a warehouse full of 6.1L's to fill the need for the rest of '09 and '10 model year SRT's. In fact, on Allpar's site, they stated that the 6.4L was probably going to be released in 2010 as a 2010 model. Allpar's source, "oh20", probably concluded that since the assembly line was on the auction block way back then, that they would need to insert the 6.4 at some point in '10. But, SRT's are not selling...especially since they have the 6.1L. Who would fork up that amount of $$$ for a specialty niche vehicle when the 6.4s are on the way...

I'll bet that most OEMs and vendors have this type of stocking system with excess stock of current product so that new tooling can be start-up, inserted into place, quality checked, modified, etc... so that new product is available on demand. I can't find the link to the auction site showing the 6.1L engine assembly for sale but I'm sure google might lead into something if the search was for a couple years ago. Here is Allpar's link for the 6.1L engine.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
I remember seeing about a year and 1/2 ago the 6.1L assembly line on an auction block through some heavy-line auctioneer site. It was the whole set-up.
I remember seeing that thread on Allpar too. As I recall it was later determined the machinery the auction was selling off was not the primary equipment Chrysler used to manufacture the 6.1 Hemi.

While I could certainly be wrong, I still don't believe Chrysler has a warehouse of engines waiting to be installed in vehicles.

At this point, the only reason that makes sense to me is Chrysler didn't want the risk of having 100% of Wrangler's production tied to the Pentastar in the first year of the engine's production. Currently the Pentastar serves as an engine choice in all the vehicles it's available on - if the Pentastar production stopped Chrysler could still make Grand Cherokees, Minivans, etc. But with the Wrangler there's no other engine - one small problem with the Pentastar would stop production.

Again, it's just a guess and I'd love to hear from someone with more information. Maybe the ghost of the A604 played a role in determining which vehicles would get the Pentastar first?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
I remember seeing about a year and 1/2 ago the 6.1L assembly line on an auction block through some heavy-line auctioneer site. It was the whole set-up.

Here is a couple links regarding the auction of the 6.1 line.
It appears that it was determined the 5.7 and the 6.1 can be assembled on the same assembly line so they decided sell the 6.1 assembly line and build both on the 5.7 line.

http://jalopnik.com/5108069/chrysler...-assembly-line

http://www.dodgechallenger.com/forum...ad.php?p=64179
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
CDCJ

Default 2012 Wrangler

I was told by a Chrysler friend that they were changing the outside of the Wrangler much more for the next model year and then would put the Pentastar engine in.
CDCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCJ View Post
I was told by a Chrysler friend that they were changing the outside of the Wrangler much more for the next model year and then would put the Pentastar engine in.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if there's a "fitment" issue with the Pentastar in the current version of the Wrangler that requires sheet metal changes?