Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche > Sales

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Marchionne loses another Exec - McNabb going to Volkswagen

Automotive News is reporting that Mark McNabb is leaving his position as Maserati's North American CEO to join Volkswagen and oversee their U.S. Sales Operations.

While Maserati is a very small player in the U.S. I'm guessing that McNabb knows every detail concerning Marchionne's plans to bring Alfa Romeo to the U.S. and that information is valuable to Volkswagen. Volkswagen has had a long standing interest in buying Alfa from Fiat and knowing what Fiat has planned for Alfa would give them a strategic advantage.

Would Marchionne sell Alfa to raise cash to buy Chrysler? Although he's stated on numerous occasions that Alfa's not for sale, stranger things have happened - especially given the poor sales performance of Alfa in Europe and the disastrous launch of Fiat in North America.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Automotive News is reporting that Mark McNabb is leaving his position as Maserati's North American CEO to join Volkswagen and oversee their U.S. Sales Operations.

While Maserati is a very small player in the U.S. I'm guessing that McNabb knows every detail concerning Marchionne's plans to bring Alfa Romeo to the U.S. and that information is valuable to Volkswagen. Volkswagen has had a long standing interest in buying Alfa from Fiat and knowing what Fiat has planned for Alfa would give them a strategic advantage.

Would Marchionne sell Alfa to raise cash to buy Chrysler? Although he's stated on numerous occasions that Alfa's not for sale, stranger things have happened - especially given the poor sales performance of Alfa in Europe and the disastrous launch of Fiat in North America.
I read about this on Autoextremist. It seems Sergio is having some trouble keeping executives lately. I have to wonder why.

I also think this defection has to sting for Sergio since he is at odds with VW. Oh well, that is just too bad.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I read about this on Autoextremist. It seems Sergio is having some trouble keeping executives lately. I have to wonder why.
In fairness to Marchionne I really don't think the loss of Diaz and McNabb can be viewed as a trend or an indication of discontent within the Executive Ranks for Fiat/Chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I also think this defection has to sting for Sergio since he is at odds with VW. Oh well, that is just too bad.
On this point we're in full agreement.

I think the battle between Volkswagen and Fiat will intensify as Europe's economy continues to falter and Volkswagen can likely inflict pain on Marchionne at will by cherry-picking his executive team.

But don't forget, Marchionne was able to steal a VW employee and bring her aboard to his executive team. That was Laura Soave who was hand-picked to launch Fiat in the U.S. and was then fired about a year later.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote