Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
ohiobuckeyes

Has anyone done the upgrade...customer wants his done after purchase. Service repair order or parts ticket? Tips would be great staff clueless.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Has anyone done the upgrade...customer wants his done after purchase. Service repair order or parts ticket? Tips would be great staff clueless.
My understanding is Chrysler wants the upgrade to be charged-out on a repair order. I'm guessing their thought process is a repair order is preferred because it'is tied to a VIN number where a parts ticket typically isn't.

Sorry I don't have better information - I don't know of anyone who's processed an upgrade yet.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
ohiobuckeyes

Thanks X. Lilred and I talked about this morning via the phone since my parts staff was freaking out. We thought sublet on a repair order and let service get the $70 profit. I let you all know what it goes.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Thanks X. Lilred and I talked about this morning via the phone since my parts staff was freaking out. We thought sublet on a repair order and let service get the $70 profit. I let you all know what it goes.
Thanks for the update.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Default Are there any dealers who are processing upgrades online?

I've been noticing this thread gets a lot of hits - I'm guessing it's from retail consumers who search Google for information about upgrading their navigation system and this thread is listed in the search results.

Are there any dealers who are processing Navigation Upgrades for customers online?

It doesn't appear there's any need for the customer to physically visit the dealership - a couple of quick emails with the VIN and payment information would seem to work.

If one of our members offers this service, please feel free to add a post so any retail customers reading this thread can send an email to your dealership. If you'd rather not post directly, send me a PM and I'll add the information to this thread.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Post Thread Bump - How is the upgrade procedure working out?

I thought I would "bump" this thread and see if we can get an update on how the upgrade procedure is working out for customers who want to add navigation to their Uconnect 8.4 radios.

Our member mryan55 did an awesome job of updating the thread "What's up with Navigation on the 2011 and 2012 Chrysler 300 Limiteds?" and I'm hoping we can get an update on this thread too.

This is the second most viewed thread on the forum so it appears there are a lot of customers who are looking for information about adding navigation to their Uconnect 8.4 radios.

From a Dealer's standpoint, is it better to order vehicles that have an upgradeable 8.4 radio without navigation and add it after the vehicle has been sold or is it easier/cheaper to just order the vehicle with navigation and not have to mess around with the upgrade process?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #22
mryan55

Upgrade process is pretty painless. In the years since the 8.4A radio launched we have activate about 100 RA3 radios for nav. It's a quick call with your SID, VIN number and nav activation code to Here Maps to do an activation at the dealership.

I know that Chrysler is marketing directly to customers who have not activated their nav, and Chrysler is selling the activation directly to the consumer via Here Maps. I know this because I get letters in the mail from FCA about activating the nav on my 2013 Ram.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I know that Chrysler is marketing directly to customers who have not activated their nav, and Chrysler is selling the activation directly to the consumer via Here Maps. I know this because I get letters in the mail from FCA about activating the nav on my 2013 Ram.
That's interesting - I didn't know that.

I remember in the old days Chrysler Service Contracts was the only division within Chrysler Corporation that sold directly to the retail customer - and they were not allowed to discount below MSRP. That lasted until 2008 when Chrysler briefly tried a Direct Mail program that solicited customers with Service Contract pricing that was below Dealer Cost.

It's a slippery slope when the factory wants to sell to retail customers....
Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #24
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That's interesting - I didn't know that.

I remember in the old days Chrysler Service Contracts was the only division within Chrysler Corporation that sold directly to the retail customer - and they were not allowed to discount below MSRP. That lasted until 2008 when Chrysler briefly tried a Direct Mail program that solicited customers with Service Contract pricing that was below Dealer Cost.

It's a slippery slope when the factory wants to sell to retail customers....
Yes, a slippery slope indeed. Chrysler Service Contracts is still marketing directly to retail customers. It gets us in a trick bag when we sell a Zurich warranty and FCA is marketing their lifetime warranty to the customer 90 days after purchase. We end up with a lot of cancellations that we convert to the Chrysler Lifetime Max Care but at a much lower profit than the Zurich warranties we offer.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #25
mryan55

I can see how this thread gets so many views. I was just doing some Google searches using the terms 'Uconnect 8.4 nav activate' and similar and this article shows up on the first page of results for some related searches.

For some of the queries this article is immediately following some of the OEM content on the FCA websites!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
I can see how this thread gets so many views. I was just doing some Google searches using the terms 'Uconnect 8.4 nav activate' and similar and this article shows up on the first page of results for some related searches.

For some of the queries this article is immediately following some of the OEM content on the FCA websites!
Yes, Google is definitely my friend - they drive a lot of traffic to the forum.

Google and their competitors index this site every day and incorporate what they find into future search results. In the case of this thread, I think the forum has supplied valuable information to thousands of different people.