Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

View Poll Results: What percentage of your Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox?
More than 25% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 0 0%
Less than 25% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 1 4.55%
Less than 10% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 3 13.64%
Less than 5% of our Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox 11 50.00%
What's a RamBox? - We've never sold one 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default What percentage of your Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox?

What percentage of your Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox?

I was driving through the Phoenix area last week and I noticed a new Dodge Truck with the RamBox option. It had been so long since I saw a RamBox that I forgot Dodge offered the option. I smiled when I looked down and noticed the truck was running on a Michigan Manufacturer's Plate.

What percentage of your Dodge Trucks are sold with RamBox? Please take our survey and share your thoughts.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is the issue cost, or is there just no customer demand?

Concerning the low sales of RamBox, is the problem that the option costs too much or is there limited customer demand regardless of cost?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
birch3x

up here it's the cost and the reduced box interior size. I saw one in for service here last summer for the first time, on a tourist's truck from another state. It looked kinda cool, but we've had no demand.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
CL Pgh

Too much $$$!!! That ($) apparently is out in the public as well because it is RARE that a customer even asks about this option.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Too much $$$!!! That ($) apparently is out in the public as well because it is RARE that a customer even asks about this option.
That makes sense - I'd mostly forgotten it was even an option until I saw one on a truck driving around.

At $1,800+ MSRP the RamBox option just doesn't offer much value. It's too bad because I bet if Chrysler would have priced the RamBox correctly and allowed it to be added to all box-lengths it would have been a strong seller.

As I recall, RamBox was pushed by LaSorda - he never had a clue when it came to retail.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
jdemonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That makes sense - I'd mostly forgotten it was even an option until I saw one on a truck driving around.

At $1,800+ MSRP the RamBox option just doesn't offer much value. It's too bad because I bet if Chrysler would have priced the RamBox correctly and allowed it to be added to all box-lengths it would have been a strong seller.

As I recall, RamBox was pushed by LaSorda - he never had a clue when it came to retail.
Its supposed to be offered on the 2500's

Jason
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
lsx only

for some reason i really like ram box and im a chevy dealer wish we had that option
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
for some reason i really like ram box and im a chevy dealer wish we had that option
That's an interesting comment.

Even though I thought LaSorda was an absolute ZERO when it came to having any "product sense" I'd have to agree the RamBox is a pretty cool concept.

The problem, in my opinion, is the RamBox is massively overpriced. AT&T and Motorola just did the same thing earlier this month when they priced the laptop dock for their new Atrix phone. The laptop dock is a fantastic idea but AT&T and Motorola have priced the accessory so high that it would be cheaper to buy a netbook computer.

Another example of corporate greed killing off a great idea.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
chryslersrt8

I think the Ram box would have been a great seller at $995 but they asked too much for it. I was at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday and they had a GMC pickup with the option and it seemed to garner interest. The Fiat 500 was displayed in various trim/equipment levels and it had a HUGE interest in it. Hands down the biggest crowd for any display was to see/ride/drive the Volt.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Isakson View Post
I think the Ram box would have been a great seller at $995 but they asked too much for it.
I'm in complete agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Isakson View Post
The Fiat 500 was displayed in various trim/equipment levels and it had a HUGE interest in it. Hands down the biggest crowd for any display was to see/ride/drive the Volt.
Interesting comments. I'm sure the dealers who are investing in their Fiat dealerships will be happy to hear the Fiat 500 is drawing a crowd.

Concerning the Volt, that's the second time I've heard the comment about its popularity. I had a chance to see one when I was at Barrett-Jackson and I'll admit I was impressed with the vehicle despite having a negative pre-disposition.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is RamBox going away?

I've been out of the loop but heard a comment that Chrysler might be killing off the RamBox due to low sales.

Is there any truth to this rumor?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Default Did Chrysler's $500 Incentive help to sell any RamBox trucks?

Did Chrysler's extra $500 Rebate for RamBox trucks help increase sales or was it mostly a non-event?

I'm guessing there were so few RamBox trucks in inventory that most dealers probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of the incentive unless their customer wanted to do a factory order.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Did Chrysler's extra $500 Rebate for RamBox trucks help increase sales or was it mostly a non-event?

I'm guessing there were so few RamBox trucks in inventory that most dealers probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of the incentive unless their customer wanted to do a factory order.
You can bet if dealers loaded up on the RamBox in stock the incentive would disappear.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
conn02

before they launched this product, I was at a dealer meeting in Naples, Fl. where they show us a preproduction unit. Since this meeting was the Charger Club meeting they had their biggest dealers attending. They told us at that meeting, the price they were going to charge. By and large, the dealers told Chrysler that was too high and that the price should be a stand alone price of $500-600. Chrysler didn't appear too interested in that
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn02 View Post
before they launched this product, I was at a dealer meeting in Naples, Fl. where they show us a preproduction unit. Since this meeting was the Charger Club meeting they had their biggest dealers attending. They told us at that meeting, the price they were going to charge. By and large, the dealers told Chrysler that was too high and that the price should be a stand alone price of $500-600. Chrysler didn't appear too interested in that
You would think that by now both Chrysler and their supplier have concluded that the RamBox is over-priced and they've adjusted their sales expectations and taken the R&D hit.

With the development costs already written off Chrysler's incremental cost for RamBox must be pretty cheap. Why not have a special promotion just to create interest for the entire truck line?

Hell, if I were Bigland I would have had a "Black Friday RamBox Sale" and offered a free RamBox option to any customer who ordered a 2014 Ram. We all know the vast majority of customers buy their vehicles from dealer inventory but it would have been a great excuse for your sales team to contact any customer who had ever expressed an interest in a Ram truck but didn't buy one.