Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 03-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
InBloom94

Default do you give out part #'s?

do you guys give out part #'s when someone calls and it's obvious they are shopping you? I don't like to do it and I just tell them we don't give out part #'s....I mean if they are gonna shop us, the other guy can do all the legwork as far as I'm concerned.
InBloom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
TORGY

for the most part we don't either .... but sometimes I do and I might have dyslexia during that phone call or forget to give them the complete #.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
InBloom94

good one lol...seems like it is happening more and more, someone always wanting free info.
InBloom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Megadraught

Being in Canada, we always have people shopping on EBAY, so they want part numbers. Will I lose a sale? maybe.... but someday that person may need a part in a hurry, and he/she will remember how helpful I was.

These days, customers are tough to keep. No need to give them more reasons to be pissed off at "The Dealership"
That's just my humble opinion.
Megadraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
TNtech

Out parts guys do not. They tell them that the computer doesn't show the PN unless an order is placed or a counter ticket is generated.

hehe
TNtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadraught View Post
Being in Canada, we always have people shopping on EBAY, so they want part numbers. Will I lose a sale? maybe.... but someday that person may need a part in a hurry, and he/she will remember how helpful I was.

These days, customers are tough to keep. No need to give them more reasons to be pissed off at "The Dealership"
I agree with this. No reason to give someone a reason to deride the dealership. I know I come to this with a sales point of view -- but if someone is going to shop you, let them.

It may well take less time to give the info than give the reasons why the part number couldn't be divulged.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
tnpartsguy

We don't, and we just tell them it is company policy. If they want an explanation, I'm glad to tell them to call KFC and ask for the secret receipt too.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
mryan55

just looking at FCA dealerships that have retail parts websites, I would imagine that your parts departments have a reasonable number of customers who have done a reasonable amount of research online and know the part number as well as the amount for which they can purchase the part online.

...just curious, but does this come up often? From my playing around online it looks like a lot of these retail-facing online storefronts don't have much markup built in. Do customers ever have the thought that you should price match what they find online?
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
TORGY

ever heard this? I can buy the same part number from "Rock Auto", or "GM Parts Direct" for less than half of what your charging. How can that be?

Which 100% of the time they can. But we can't compete with them being a smaller dealer. We try to give a discount to keep a sale, but even at that were still so far off from those guys we don't get the sale. There just like the collision whores of the business.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORGY View Post
ever heard this? I can buy the same part number from "Rock Auto", or "GM Parts Direct" for less than half of what your charging. How can that be?

Which 100% of the time they can. But we can't compete with them being a smaller dealer. We try to give a discount to keep a sale, but even at that were still so far off from those guys we don't get the sale. There just like the collision whores of the business.
GMPartsDirect is a GM dealer "Flow GM Auto Center". They have multiple stores along the east coast VA, NC, SC, and GA. They sell to anyone at GM cost. They rape you on S&H charges, and they do NOT take any returns. They sell MILLIONS of dollars every year, so they qualify for a nice 7~10% rebate on ALL their purchases every year, and THAT is how they do it.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
GMPartsDirect is a GM dealer "Flow GM Auto Center". They have multiple stores along the east coast VA, NC, SC, and GA. They sell to anyone at GM cost. They rape you on S&H charges, and they do NOT take any returns. They sell MILLIONS of dollars every year, so they qualify for a nice 7~10% rebate on ALL their purchases every year, and THAT is how they do it.
Interesting - it appears that two-tier pricing exists in the Parts Department too.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #12
TORGY

and...That's why we don't like to give out part numbers!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #13
Deniset

Amazon is one of my biggest competitors right now! I did not used to give out part numbers, now, my BOSS says I have to.

I explained that we must pay for our catalog subscription, training, and personnel, so why give free info?

I have heard horror stories regarding the customer who gets a part number, orders elsewhere, only to receive the wrong part: it had been pulled wrong, boxed wrong, or whatever; but beyond control of the person who gave the number out.

Then there is the issue of warranty. I may be mistaken, but I think the warranty on a GM part is only valid when purchased from a legitimate franchised dealer.

Good Selling!
Deniset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:43 AM   #14
bbdrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadraught View Post

We tend to agree with this school of thought. As much as I don't like to give out part numbers, If I refuse to give a number and the customer gets upset he is going to tell a lot of people and in a small town word travels fast. At least giving the number I have a chance to minimize the impact it would have on other business and possible get a future sale. I do try to figure out if they are shopping me and if I have to cut my profits, I will. I would rather make 1.00, than nothing.
bbdrew is offline   Reply With Quote