Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Value of a Used Toyota Prius with a Bad Main Battery Pack

I've often wondered what the valuation would be when some of the early Toyota Prius cars hit the market and required the replacement of their main battery packs. How much would a Dealer have to adjust the ACV of a trade if he/she knew the battery pack needed to be replaced?

Well, part of that mystery was answered this weekend when TNT Auction sold a 2000 Toyota Prius that needed a new main battery pack. Here's a screen-shot of the auction results:

Frankly, I was surprised the Prius sold for that much - I was also surprised to see that the battery pack failed at a relatively low mileage. Perhaps battery life for the Prius is based more on time than miles.

On a final note, I have no idea how difficult it is to replace a battery pack or whether it's a common practice to use used parts from vehicles that had been totaled due to collision. Maybe that explains the high selling price?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote