Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Rented my first movie from the Android Market - Fast Five

At the risk of coming across as a "phone nerd" I thought I'd share my experience renting a movie from the Android Market.

Those who have followed the forum know that I bought my first smartphone (Motorola Droid X) about four months ago and I've become somewhat of an addict. Smartphones are awesome, I can't imagine why everyone doesn't have one.

Google (the owners of Android) is currently offering 10 different movies for rent for only 99 cents so I figured I check it out just to learn more about the process. I rented the movie Fast Five and enjoyed it - more on that later.

Concerning the movie rental process - it was super easy:
  • I got charged 99 cents plus tax to the credit card on file with the Android Market
  • I had up to 30 days to begin viewing the movie
  • Once I started viewing the movie I had 24 hours to finish it
  • I could watch the movie as many times as I wanted within the 24 hours - a nice option if someone else wants to watch the movie but their schedule doesn't overlap
  • I could watch the movie on my phone or my laptop
  • I was able to use my laptop's HDMI port and watched the movie on a big screen TV
  • I could download the movie to my phone's SD card so I could watch it in an area that didn't have WIFI or 3G - an airplane or a camping trip as an example
  • After 24 hours the movie was no longer playable on my phone - it just linked me back to a screen where I could rent the movie again.
Overall, it was a great experience and exemplifies why Blockbuster is going out of business. Why would anyone drive to a movie rental store and wait in line when this is so much easier?

Concerning the movie Fast Five: I don't watch a lot of movies and I never saw any of the previous Fast and Furious movies so I was somewhat at a loss concerning the characters. I knew the overall plot and I mainly rented the movie because I wanted to see some of the car scenes.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie - it was a little slow in the beginning but the car scenes in the end made up for it. If you're the type of person who likes your movies to depict reality, you should probably skip Fast Five. The driving scenes in the last hour of the movie defied the laws of physics - I'm sure there are some engineer-types who must throw things at the screen in disbelief/frustration.

Concerning Chrysler's product placement in the movie, I wonder how much they had to pay? The last hour of the movie is almost 100% dedicated to following a slew of 2011 Dodge Chargers (or Charger SRT8s) through the streets of Rio de Janeiro. One clip even featured a 2011 SRT8 doing a wheel-stand when the nitrous switch was flipped on.

Bottom line: Being able to watch movies on your phone isn't a reason to buy a smartphone but it is a pretty cool feature and for 99 cents, how can you go wrong?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
57years

Based upon the movies I've seen in recent years, 99 cents is the right price. Where have all he writers gone??? Everything is all about "glitz" not the script!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
steve_biegler

Computer generated crap.....I'll watch American Graffiti any time.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Based upon the movies I've seen in recent years, 99 cents is the right price. Where have all he writers gone??? Everything is all about "glitz" not the script!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Computer generated crap.....I'll watch American Graffiti any time.
I'd be inclined to agree - I guess that's why I don't watch too many movies.

That said, for the people who like college football I thought the movie The Blind Side and We are Marshall were both worth watching - I really enjoyed them.

Both movies are pretty old and can probably be rented for $1 online.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I was able to use my laptop's HDMI port and watched the movie on a big screen TV
As a side note, it's my understanding that although many new smartphones have HDMI ports some of them do not allow you to transmit the image to a TV.

I ordered a HDMI adapter for my Droid X because I want to test it out. Based on what I've read the Droid X will allow the user to export their own videos via the HDMI port but it blocks all copyrighted material. I'll have to check this out on my own.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a new smartphone and you think you'd like to use it to stream movies to your TV you should check to see if the phone you're interested in allows you to export copyrighted video.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
57years

We Are Marshall brought me to tears. I highly recommend.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Jeff Duvall

Just a side note; one of the flight attendants that died in the plane crash was the sister of the former Chrysler dealer near me in Seneca, S. C.
I ask him what he thought of the movie, he said he could not bring himself to go see it.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote