Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Forum Operations > Announcements

Notices

Announcements Check here for Announcements from the DealershipForum.com Webmaster

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Limited posting by XDCX for a day or two....

I just wanted to create a quick thread explaining why I've been away from the forum for the past couple of days and why I'll continue to be somewhat limited for the next day or two.

On Sunday I had a mild onset of Bell's Palsy which has been messing with my vision when I spend time at my computer. Although it sounds terrible, Bell's Palsy isn't terminal, it simply describes a condition where a person loses muscle control on one side of their face. In my case, I can't blink my right eye which means I can't wear a contact lens in that eye which limits the amount of time I can spend at my computer before I get a head ache.

Besides the vision issue, I can no longer smile, whistle, or raise my eyebrows and I drool when I drink from a pop can. Fortunately, my case isn't too severe and I'm already showing signs of improvement.

I'll continue to check in on occasion and will resume my usual level of activity shortly.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
CL Pgh

Dang X-Man, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Hadn’t heard of this before but it reads as though most have a full recovery in a short period of time and that certainly sounds good. The article mentioned a “trauma” to the facial nerve... it gave me this vision of you taking a header off your ski!? Hope you are doing well… keep a chin-up… (uhhh…well, at least one side up).
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Take care and get well quick! Maybe Chrysler had something to do with this because of all of you bad talk.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
dafuzz1956

X-MAN,I send my best for a speedy recovery, take care and may GOD bless.
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Dang X-Man, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Hadn’t heard of this before but it reads as though most have a full recovery in a short period of time and that certainly sounds good. The article mentioned a “trauma” to the facial nerve... it gave me this vision of you taking a header off your ski!? Hope you are doing well… keep a chin-up… (uhhh…well, at least one side up).
CL - Thanks for the good wishes and the sense of humor.

My experience with Bell's Palsy has been one of the most humbling experiences I've ever had. There's nothing like drooling your coffee all over your shirt to keep your ego in check. I'm convinced that everything happens for a reason and ultimately this experience will make me a better person.

Concerning the SeaDoo, no recent trauma but there was a citation on Wikipedia where some people believe Bell's Palsy can be caused by a rush of a cold air streaming past the ears. While I don't subscribe to that theory, you can bet it was the first thing I heard about after mentioning my condition to my parents.

My bigger concern will be riding the SeaDoo. I still can't close my right eye and some people report this condition can last for months. I may have to start riding "pirate" style.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Take care and get well quick! Maybe Chrysler had something to do with this because of all of you bad talk.
That's exactly why I started this thread.

I never wanted this site to be about me, and I still don't. That said, I didn't want our members to think there was some other reason for my absence. (Especially since my post immediately prior to the onset of Bell's Palsy questioned whether OLDCO dealers could sue Press, LaSorda and Nardelli personally....)

One thing's for sure however, my dream of appearing on CNBC as a guest won't be happening any time soon. I doubt they'd want to hear the opinions of a person who appears to have half their face melted away by the sun.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
jdemonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That's exactly why I started this thread.

I never wanted this site to be about me, and I still don't. That said, I didn't want our members to think there was some other reason for my absence. (Especially since my post immediately prior to the onset of Bell's Palsy questioned whether OLDCO dealers could sue Press, LaSorda and Nardelli personally....)

One thing's for sure however, my dream of appearing on CNBC as a guest won't be happening any time soon. I doubt they'd want to hear the opinions of a person who appears to have half their face melted away by the sun.
LOL...Hope you get better soon!

JD
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
scooter

Glad to see you are up and around....my mother in law had that palsey condition, and she is fine now....but man when it hit, she just was afraid to see or talk to anybody....by the way in are in good company, every car guys favorite person, Ralph Nader, has palsey and it has shut him up one bit nor is he afraid to be in public to take advantage of some situation.......so when Phil Lebeau from MSNBC calls, give em hell and speak your mind
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words.

My dad mentioned Ralph Nader the other night - that sent a shiver down my spine.

Oddly enough, I found that YouTube has been really helpful. There are a number of people who have uploaded videos illustrating how their condition improved with time. It's nice to see there are people who have had worse cases and they fully recover.

Concerning Phil LeBeau, I wonder if he does phone interviews.....?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Should be back up to speed on Monday....

I may have been a little too optimistic when I thought I'd only be down for a day or two. I feel better today than I have since the onset and I should be back to my normal posting level by Monday.

A special thanks to those that kept the forum updated during my absence.