Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
enzo

Default Online Marketing

I am wondering what services should I use to market my cars online?Should I use Craigslist? Ebay?, Yahoo? Which ones did you use? Recommend?

Thanks
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
I am wondering what services should I use to market my cars online?Should I use Craigslist? Ebay?, Yahoo? Which ones did you use? Recommend?

Thanks
This must have been Enzo's first post. (Don't worry, I checked and his IP Address isn't from Italy. )

From my experience running an Internet Department I had great results using Craigslist and I thought my best Internet leads were the ones that originated from the Brand Websites - in my case, Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge.

Our dealership used AutoTrader to list our cars and while I know it created "plus business" for our dealership it seemed like their services were really expensive. I also didn't like the fact that AutoTrader's "premium" dealers had their cars listed before ours when a local customer was searching for cars in our market.

Concerning Ebay, I think it's a bust for most dealers. Even one of Ebay's biggest dealers, Texas-Direct, really doesn't seem to sell that many vehicles.

On a final note, our dealership used to have a budget for paid Internet leads - sometimes as much as $20/lead. In my opinion, this was a complete waste of money. The leads were often being sold to several dealers and the customers were getting bombarded with price quotes.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
This must have been Enzo's first post. (Don't worry, I checked and his IP Address isn't from Italy. )

From my experience running an Internet Department I had great results using Craigslist and I thought my best Internet leads were the ones that originated from the Brand Websites - in my case, Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge.

Our dealership used AutoTrader to list our cars and while I know it created "plus business" for our dealership it seemed like their services were really expensive. I also didn't like the fact that AutoTrader's "premium" dealers had their cars listed before ours when a local customer was searching for cars in our market.

Concerning Ebay, I think it's a bust for most dealers. Even one of Ebay's biggest dealers, Texas-Direct, really doesn't seem to sell that many vehicles.

On a final note, our dealership used to have a budget for paid Internet leads - sometimes as much as $20/lead. In my opinion, this was a complete waste of money. The leads were often being sold to several dealers and the customers were getting bombarded with price quotes.
My thoughts as well. We've tried about everything available over the years. Craigslist is good, we dropped AutoTrader, and our own website is the best out of all the internet stuff. SEO and SEM are the reason. The only paid leads come through Chrysler Digital, and are PAP reimbused.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
enzo

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I feel the same way. Craiglist marketing is good cause its free and lots of people uses it.
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I feel the same way. Craiglist marketing is good cause its free and lots of people uses it.
Craigslist is great but there are so many scams and fake listings that I think there's an opportunity for some vendor to come in and fill the void.

I remember hearing about a website called "EveryCarListed" that wanted to create a database of every car for sale in the U.S. but it never really seemed to gain traction.

I also wish Craigslist had a format which forced their users to list the year, make, model, miles, color, etc. so it would be easier to search for a particular vehicle.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote