Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Back from the Eye Doctor - Has anyone tried monovision?

I went to the Eye Doctor for the first time in about four years and I used a doctor I've never worked with before - he was awesome.

I've worn contact lenses to correct my distance vision since I was 16 years old but recently it seemed like my near field vision was worsening. I had read that some people have Lasik surgery done where they correct one eye for long distance and the other eye for near distance.

I asked the doctor about it and he said it's called monovision and it's something that contact lens wearers can do too. He was so cool he sent me home with a "Freebie" contact lens so I could try it out to see if I'd like it.

The irony is I think most of my near field vision issues were related to the old contact lens I was wearing. Now that I have a new pair of lenses my near field vision isn't that big of an issue.

Has anyone here tried monovision? Have you even heard of it before?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Four year old thread bump....

I went to the Eye Doctor again yesterday since I'd run out of contacts and I knew my prescription was expired. When they asked when I last saw the Doctor I figured it was just a couple of years ago but they indicated their records showed it was four years ago.

I remembered I'd posted a thread about monovision so I did a quick search and it turns out the Doctor's office was right - it's been four years since my last eye exam.

Yesterday I had the same Doctor and he's still awesome.

I explained that my prescription was outdated and I was concerned because it's becoming more difficult for me to read close-up when my contacts are in - my near vision when my contacts are out was still excellent. The Doctor explained that the condition I described is age related and affects almost everyone. Apparently the muscles in the eye that provide focus for near field vision weaken with age.

I asked again about monovision - the Doctor explained that about 80% of his patients end up hating it - the other 20% love it. The downside with monovison is lessened long distance vision and difficulty with depth perception.

Just like last time, with the new contact lenses my near vision isn't as bad as it used to be - it's no longer a huge deal.

I still haven't tried monovision but I'll give it a try if my near vision worsens.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
57years

I really tried to get Bi-focal contact lenses. Just too much stigmatism. Afraid of any surgery that cannot be "undone". Now in tri-focal no frame glasses, so I can read your posts! Very happy!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
I really tried to get Bi-focal contact lenses. Just too much stigmatism. Afraid of any surgery that cannot be "undone". Now in tri-focal no frame glasses, so I can read your posts! Very happy!
Wow, I didn't even know they had bi-focal contact lenses.

I'm guessing the reason the Doctor never mentioned them is because I have a stigmatism as well which requires large sized contact lenses.

Concerning Lasik, the Doctor I had indicated he had a lot of experience with Lasik in his previous job and he thinks the procedure is awesome. He indicated the "standard of care" is not to recommend Lasik to a patient until they have has at least two years without any changes to their eyesight - they want to make sure the patient's eyesight is stable.

The Doctor indicated that the Lasik process can provide a patient with monovision if that's what they want but he cautioned that the patient really needs to be sure that's what they want since so many of his contact lens patients end up not liking monovision.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
SBrittain

I can understand how monovision can work. At times one of my eyes or the other would worsen to 20/200 vision. I was surprised that my eye was that bad. The doctor told me what happens is the good eye takes over where the other eye lacks. So I assume with monovision your body would get used to using the eye that would match the task.

Another lens option is what are called progressives. The prescription changes gradually from top to bottom. You change where you are looking through the lens to match the task.
SBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrittain View Post
I can understand how monovision can work. At times one of my eyes or the other would worsen to 20/200 vision. I was surprised that my eye was that bad. The doctor told me what happens is the good eye takes over where the other eye lacks. So I assume with monovision your body would get used to using the eye that would match the task.
I had similar experiences when I was a kid. That was back in the days before disposable lenses where you usually only had one set. I'd lose or destroy a lens and then only wear the remaining lens and the brain had the ability to take the sharp image and not use the blurry one.

I don't recall having any depth perception issues back then but that was a long time ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrittain View Post
Another lens option is what are called progressives. The prescription changes gradually from top to bottom. You change where you are looking through the lens to match the task.
Are you speaking of regular glasses or contact lenses?

If you're speaking of contact lenses I wonder if the progressives are available for someone who has a stigmatism?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
57years

With my stigmatism, I was recommended against progressives. But, I do also think there could be some concern on the optometrist side, that such a small frameless lens, may not be receptive to the span needed for a progressive to be fully useable to me.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Two year thread bump...

Over the past couple of years my nearfield vision when I was wearing my contacts got to the point it was really hard to read the fine print on contracts, medicine bottles, smartphones, etc.

It got to the point where there were times I had to remove my contacts so I could reconcile a credit card statement because the print was too small or didn't have enough contrast.

I went to a new eye doctor even though I was very happy with my old eye doctor and was told progressive contact lens were not an option for me because of my stigmatism.

I was somewhat bummed out but agreed to try the monovision solution since the new eye doctor indicated that most of his patients adjusted to it pretty well. I've been using the monovision solution for the past two months and it has been great - it's nice to be able to read fine print again and I really haven't had too many issues where I missed having a long distance lens in my non-dominant/left eye.

I asked my new doctor about Lasik and he indicated that I could have the procedure done but they would need to use the monovision solution where one eye was for near vision and the other eye was for far vision. I was hoping that Lasik could fix both eyes for near and far vision but I was told that's not an option. At this point I guess I'll just stick with contact lens.