Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 12-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
tnpartsguy

Default Buick "Envision" CUV?

Does Buick need a middle sibling for the Encore and Enclave?

Better yet, does it need another foreign built (China!!) vehicle?

We have seen customers walk once they learn the Encore is Korean built, and I think China's reputation as a car builder isn't up to par yet.

GM already had the platform (Equinox/Terrain) to fit the slot, wonder why they didn't just badge-engineer the Envision?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I've read some of the headlines about Buick importing a car from China - it will be interesting to see how the public responds.

I wasn't aware that the Encore was built in Korea until I read your post. I see quite a few Encores in my Dad's retirement community and I'm willing to bet that most of the owners are not aware of the car's manufacturing origin.

In some ways you'd think it would make more sense for GM to source cars that appeal to their older customers in North American plants and use their offshore plants to build cars/truck for younger customers. My assumption is a younger customer would be less likely to be put-off by an offshore vehicle than an older customer.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
tnpartsguy

Encore/Trax platform is built in Korea, as is the new Buick Cascada convertible.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Encore/Trax platform is built in Korea, as is the new Buick Cascada convertible.
I'll concede that I haven't kept up with where a lot of cars/trucks are being produced - there are so many brands and plant locations that it's become a bit of a blur...

That said, I got the impression from what I read during the UAW negotiations that GM, Ford and FCA will be moving more of their car production off-shore and keep the trucks and SUVs sourced in North America.

I'm guessing that vehicle margins, shipping expense and perhaps the "Chicken Tax" all play a role in that decision.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
57years

The same reason Hyundai, Mercedes, Kia, etc., now build their SUV in U.S., and Toyota and Nissan started building small trucks in the U.S. 30 years ago... (the "Chicken Tax)!

And all that never collected (because unassessed) tax money went flying home to Japan, now Korea and Germany to Roost!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote