Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Independent Dealers > Sales

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
zohpy

Default C4C and Independants

Just wanted to know what C4C is doing for those of us at independant stores.
I know July started out gangbusters for us then about 2 weeks in business just died. Strange thing is even though our units are way, way down, grosses have been higher than they have been in a long time.
Guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what August brings.
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
dodgequality

Gonna depend on the pressure that Owebama puts on the Senate. Any balking and C4C is history and alot of people are going to be hurt.
He will find millions to cover his a$$.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
possum

Our used car business is good, and I had forgotten what real gross was!

We don't want, or need, c4c here, and the car business can actually be fun again without DCX. My thought is why can't we get our final "dealer statement", and get them out of here?
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Our used car business is good, and I had forgotten what real gross was!

We don't want, or need, c4c here, and the car business can actually be fun again without DCX. My thought is why can't we get our final "dealer statement", and get them out of here?
I'm happy to hear that business has been strong for you.

I also enjoyed your comment about gross. As I've mentioned in countless threads, my view is the Internet has forever changed the new car business and the historic gross profit levels will never return.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
jules4jeeps

C4C has put our numbers in the tank...we are mulling over a big investment in a "special invitation only" sale...you know, a "marketing" team sends out the mailers, a staffed sale by their "pros"...I am leary of it all.

I guess the important message to potential C4C buyers, is to treat them like a ready to buy buyer, even if the program is only for new vehicles...alot of C4C buyers have car titles to their trades not in their name, lost titles, many things that exclude them from the program. Once they learn that, they may receptive to what an independent can assist them with in regards to their purchase.

I'm not gonna lie, its been a tad depressing the past few days. So the factory kills your franchise, and you regroup, find a new path, try it, and then the gov comes along with this game, and twists the dagger in alittle deeper. We were joking, that if we're still open in 90 days, we expect guys in unmarked black gov issued sedans to show up and burn our facility down.
jules4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
possum

Jules, I hear the same comments from a lot of Oldco Dealers. You just have to give it time to grow again. After the franchise, and all the "busy" that comes with it, things seem quiet now. BUT, give the business time to adjust to you.

It is almost like starting a brand new business from scratch, and it seems strange, but it will come. What we are all doing now, is what many Newco people will be doing next year, so we have the jump on them.

As far as a "big sale", a local Dealer does several of those a year, and has pretty good success. It doesn't work for me for several reasons, but he likes it, and does it often. Caution: it is expensive.

Hang in there.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules4jeeps View Post
I'm not gonna lie, its been a tad depressing the past few days. So the factory kills your franchise, and you regroup, find a new path, try it, and then the gov comes along with this game, and twists the dagger in alittle deeper. We were joking, that if we're still open in 90 days, we expect guys in unmarked black gov issued sedans to show up and burn our facility down.
jules - I can imagine how you feel.

I remember Chrysler's termination of your dealership was a big shock and yet you approached the situation with a good attitude and charged forward with a new game plan.

You barely got a chance to get started with your new plan and then you get blindsided with the CARS program.

I think possum's comments are perfect. Hang in there and eventually your hard work will overpower your bad luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
zohpy

Keep that chin up Jules. Yesterday was fabulous as was the day before. Starting to see lots of peeps who didn't qualify in one way or another that are starting to shop our little indy store. Did 4 Tues. and another 4 yesterday. Working on another couple now!!!

Insert happy dance here!
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohpy View Post
Starting to see lots of peeps who didn't qualify in one way or another that are starting to shop our little indy store.
Insert happy dance here!
zophy - thanks for the post - it's great to hear from an Independent Dealer who's still doing well in the CARS environment.

As you pointed out, there are tons of customers who thought they had a "clunker" but figured out it didn't qualify.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
dafuzz1956

Jules, I agree w/Possum and zohpy, hang in there kid, keep your chin up and most of keep your faith.

Xman is right you were a poss post while some of the weaker let it get ot us (myself included). If memory serves me correctly you and yours seem to have a strong foudation, it will withstand these toubled times. Trust in your values and it will work out
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
jules4jeeps

Well, we did our special sale and it was in a word, well the first word that comes to mind is a "cluster-you-know-what-insert-F-word", but it was a disaster.

A 19000 piece mailer went out, that promised numerous stupid things with lots of fine print. We gave away 400 Walmart $5 gift cards (you would not believe what lengths people will go to nowadays for a $5 walmart card). We had very few true shoppers and netted only six sales after being promised around 40 @ avg gross of $3800.

The guys for the company, Rush Hour Events, were a step above carnies, carnival workers. Caught them power booking and messing with peoples income, etc on credit apps. I do not suggest anyone EVER use this company or try one of these events. It was bad news all around.

I do have hope now that C4C is done, we will make it. We have lots of inventory, which seems to be the key to survival going forward. Lenders seem to be loosening up alittle, some better calls lately with Cap One and Chase.

No more "if" in our survival plans...
jules4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
possum

Our local Ford Dealer does those sales, and usually they are terrible, however his last one did sell some cars.

The process involved is not worth the sales to me. The hangover can be worse than the sale itself.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
F&I Pro

Jules, it's been my experience that these "Super Sale" companies are staffed by auto personnel, mostly x-managers who have burnt bridges everywhere they've gone and can't get a real job in the industry, that's why you see the "power-booking" and raises on apps, that's the only way they know how to do business, and why they no longer work within dealerships....The last one my previous dealer did, he hired one of the employees as a GSM, within 2 weeks, our demo was in impound and he was in jail for coke, and I don't mean the drink.
F&I Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules4jeeps View Post
We gave away 400 Walmart $5 gift cards (you would not believe what lengths people will go to nowadays for a $5 walmart card).
Jules - Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear the Rush Hour Events sale didn't work out.

I smiled when I read your comment about what people are willing to do for a $5 WalMart Gift Card. I imagine when the sales not going well the last thing you need are 400 vultures waiting to pick the meat off of the bones.

Concerning event sales, these are the types of topics I like to see on the forum. While it's unfortunate that you had a bad experience, at least you can take some comfort in knowing that this post may help other dealers who are planning an event sale.

Hang in there. Your positive attitude and determination will get you through these tough times.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
lsx only

we are a new dealer but focus more on used and gm program cars business has been great this month,no cash for junkers here
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote