Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
AR2

Default J.D. Power 2012 Dependability Study

I hope this is the right spot for this article...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...dability-study

Toyota Motor Company (Lexus, Toyota, and Scion) pretty much dominated the results, but Ford Motor Company (Ford and Lincoln) and Mercedes-Benz also had good showings. I hate to say it, but I'm disappointed in BMW's results. I thought the company would do better. Oh well.

Thoughts on the results?
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I haven't had a chance to study the results yet but in my opinion the importance of the J.D. Powers Rankings has dropped to the point I don't even think it's an issue with car buyers today.

I remember in the old days it used to be a big deal when J.D. Powers released their rankings and it was common for the OEMs to include their results as part of their advertising campaign.

Concerning BMW, I'd be surprised at their low scores too - I think BMW builds great vehicles. I remember reading in the past that some industry experts blamed BMW's iDrive system. It's not that the iDrive system didn't work, buyers just found the system too complex and voiced their frustration on the quality surveys.

In fairness to BMW, I know they've made several improvements to their iDrive system and I'm not sure if it's still the source of customer complaints.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
CL Pgh

I'm still surprised at the amount of "weight" media/consumers/manufactures give JD Powers on these reports given the actual amount of owners that respond. According to JD Powers website, on average, less than 1,000 owners per BRAND were polled for this 2009 Vehicle Dependability report. Last months report from JD Powers on Sales Satisfaction was about the same where less than 850 respondents per BRAND were used. I realize these polls are "curbed" as they couldn't possibly reach every owner/buyer... but are such SMALL samplings really able to reflect what's actually happening???

Reviewing last months JD Powers SSI report... my answer is absolutely not and here's why I believe that. In last months JD Powers SSI report the Chrysler brand scores in the top half of the report surpassing Honda, Toyota and Ford. Yet Jeep and Ram finish dead last in this same report. How is this “Customer Satisfaction” scoring disparity between these brands even this possible when 90% of all Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram & Dodge products are delivered off of the same showrooms by the same salespeople!? I don’t know how your showrooms are run… but here customers are treated with the same respect and thoughtfulness regardless of what price of vehicle they’re looking at or which brand they buy.

Sorry for the rant but these reports in my opinion… are not reality nor perceived reality. They’re just lazy reports!!!

CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
CL Pgh

Duplication.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
chryslersrt8

We have to educate the customer that this study is based on cars built 3-4 years ago while Chrysler's operation was in the tank due to being run by bean counters instead of car people. Proof of this is even the consumer magazines are begrudgingly giving Chrysler its dues for the new/redesigned units.

Can you imagine if a news wire service this week makes a big deal about Obama winning the presidency 3 years ago!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote