Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
Needhelp

Ralph,

I began the express lube program in the late 90's as warranty began to dwindle. We had actually gotten our customer pay labor up to $100,000/mo. I will admit this took years to get there, but we did this with no new equipment. The only out of pocket money was the enormous amount of advertising we did in mailers for service.
Needhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
SDCJ

Needhelp,

Where was your customer pay prior to beginning your express lube program?
SDCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Needhelp

sdcj,

I will pull some financial statements out of the archive and get back with you tomorrow
Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
Needhelp

Default The story is bigger than 1st thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCJ View Post
Needhelp,

Where was your customer pay prior to beginning your express lube program?
1994 stand alone Jeep 1555 New Retail Units, $701,449/yr Cust Pay Labor

1997 Project 2000 1129 New Retail Units, $901,533/yr Cust Pay Labor

2000 more manuf offering SUV, 612 New, $1,146,830/yr Cust Pay Labor

2007 Project Alpha 679 New, $1,252,621/yr Cust Pay Labor

2008 (Alpha sucked) 377 New, $1,256,588/yr Cust Pay Labor

2009 (Economy sucked) 174 New, $953.250/yr Cust Pay Labor

From here the story becomes increasingly complicated, but having an awesome service customer following is incredible, and I can not stress how important this aspect of the business is in today's climate.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needhelp View Post
1994 stand alone Jeep 1555 New Retail Units, $701,449/yr Cust Pay Labor

1997 Project 2000 1129 New Retail Units, $901,533/yr Cust Pay Labor

2000 more manuf offering SUV, 612 New, $1,146,830/yr Cust Pay Labor

2007 Project Alpha 679 New, $1,252,621/yr Cust Pay Labor

2008 (Alpha sucked) 377 New, $1,256,588/yr Cust Pay Labor

2009 (Economy sucked) 174 New, $953.250/yr Cust Pay Labor

From here the story becomes increasingly complicated, but having an awesome service customer following is incredible, and I can not stress how important this aspect of the business is in today's climate.
So much for the Factory's theory ... the more cust pay service you do, the more new cars you will sell !
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
So much for the Factory's theory ... the more cust pay service you do, the more new cars you will sell !
When I looked at that sales trend the first thing I thought was this was a store that did heavy lease volume on the Grand Cherokee and got hurt when the programs and the vehicle became less competitive.

Back on topic, great job building your Customer Pay service business.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #22
Needhelp

Quote:
thanks 79Lilredexpress for the comment; Its always been in large part about the product, not the facility, not SSI, not CSI; just the product!!!

Quote:
When I looked at that sales trend the first thing I thought was this was a store that did heavy lease volume on the Grand Cherokee and got hurt when the programs and the vehicle became less competitive.
AMEN XDCX. Although stocking less Jeep product in order to accomadate the new Dodge franchise created additional problems all at a time when the economy was showing signs of massive slowdown.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
SDCJ

Wow. That is some significant and steady customer pay$. I understand there are many factors involved but if I understand you correctly... you in part credit your express lube program to maintaining a service customer loyalty.

Am I correct to assume you would not consider the express lube in and of itself a revenue generator but more of program to keep that customer at your dealership?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
Needhelp

Absolutely, If I could renew they license plates or fill their gas tanks I would. When it comes to their autos I want 100% total dependence on my store. That might be considered abuse if it were a spouse, but I want total control of their vehicle. I also give away a lot of free car washes.

My customers don't resent me for this, rather they trust us and we do not take advantage of their trust. In fact many of my customers bring multiple vehicles for service regardless of make.

Every time a customer goes to a Dobbs or Mieneke or Jiffylube or whatever they are going to try to sell them something and be friendly and tell them how overpriced we are and try to make them their customer. So I just don't want them going there.

It's much easier to keep your customers than it is to convince them to come back

Last edited by Needhelp; 04-09-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
SDCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needhelp View Post
Absolutely, If I could renew they license plates or fill their gas tanks I would. When it comes to their autos I want 100% total dependence on my store. That might be considered abuse if it were a spouse, but I want total control of their vehicle. I also give away a lot of free car washes.

My customers don't resent me for this, rather they trust us and we do not take advantage of their trust. In fact many of my customers bring multiple vehicles for service regardless of make.

Every time a customer goes to a Dobbs or Mieneke or Jiffylube or whatever they are going to try to sell them something and be friendly and tell them how overpriced we are and try to make them their customer. So I just don't want them going there.

It's much easier to keep your customers than it is to convince them to come back

Thanks for the advise Needhelp! I really appreciate your input.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
ghostrider
Banned

We paid the big bucks for Express Lane Program. Mixed Reviews here. It is a good process, but certainly nothing you could not do yourself.
Basic stuff; no appointment needed, 30 mins or less from "hello" to "done", and go over 23 point inspection with the customer. These are the 3 areas scored in current dealer standards.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is Mopar still pushing this program?

I've been noticing this thread continues to receive hits even though there hasn't been a recent post for over four months.

Is Mopar still pushing this program?

I've noticed on a few occasions the hits are coming from a Chrysler IP Address from Auburn Hills. I'm guessing they found the tread from a Google search.

Regardless, it would be interesting to hear some more stories from dealers who have tried the Chrysler Express Lane program. Hopefully there are some success stories out there.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
Dubb

They are wanting to bring this to our dealership. Maybe I should show them this thread....
Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubb View Post
They are wanting to bring this to our dealership. Maybe I should show them this thread....
Dubb - First post - Welcome to DealershipForum.

Concerning this thread, if your Dealership is thinking about adding Chrysler's Express Lane I think you'd be doing your Dealer a favor by suggesting that he/she read this thread.

There's a lot of good information in this thread - especially the need to factor in the importance of customer loyalty to your dealership. Even if your Express Lane doesn't make any money there's still a lot of value to keeping in contact with your customer and having the customer form a lasting relationship with your dealership.

That said, does a Dealer need to pay Chrysler for their Express Lane program or can a better program be developed in-house?