Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default GM fires 15 employees over the Ignition Switch Recall debacle

News reports indicate that General Motors has fired 15 employees as a result of both internal and external investigations relating to the Ignition Switch Recall. Here's a link to a report from the USA Today - click here

Call me a skeptic, but I wonder if the 15 who were fired were offered compensation in return for signing a non-disclosure statement?

While I haven't followed the whole GM Ignition Switch Recall debacle too closely, the impression I got was that Washington D.C. wanted to see someone get fired as a result of what happened and General Motors is eager to try to get this issue behind them.

GM's "spin" appears to be that there was no cover-up or conspiracy; just 15 people who were not paying enough attention to their jobs.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
steve_biegler

Not to be a smart ass BUT if car companies fired people for not paying attention to their jobs they wouldn't have many employees.......
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Lakeshow

You mean like this UAW standout?

New 2014 Express Van we sold the other day. #qualityisjobnone

Last edited by Lakeshow; 06-05-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post

That's a great picture - assembly plants have been making mistakes like that for decades and it's somewhat surprising that automation hasn't eliminated them.

Concerning the UAW, I'd be willing to bet none of the 15 fired GM employees belong to any type of union (either blue collar or white collar) and if they do GM will be forced to rehire the workers once the dust settles and the media has lost interest in the story.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Based on the headlines I read following GM's announcements of the firings it appears the media views the action as a victory.

I haven't followed the situation closely enough to from an educated opinion on whether the firings were appropriate but part of me suspects GM needed some scapegoats to make this issue go away.

Back to my original thought, I'm betting GM has reached a monetary agreement with the 15 individuals who were fired to ensure they'll never be able to testify against GM in future lawsuits.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
mryan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post

I'm guessing the Express / Savana are still made in Wentzville? It would be one thing if an English language label were upside down in a car coming from Thailand but not Missouri!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default GM recalls three million more vehicles due to Ignition Switch/Keys

It sounds like GM dealers had better get their key cutting machines ready for the next wave - GM just announced they're recalling 3,160,000 vehicles because there's a risk that the vehicle's ignition switch may be jarred to the "off" position because of the key design. For the full report - click here

Based on what I read it's my understanding the latest recall will not require the replacement of the ignition switch - it simply replaces the ignition key with the slotted hole with one that has a round hole centered in the key.

I wonder if GM has considered just mailing the customers their new set of keys? I wonder whether most GM dealerships would support that idea or whether they'd rather have the customers return to the dealership?

Granted, there would be some security/theft concerns if GM was to mail replacement keys but I imagine those concerns could be addressed if they developed a thought-out plan.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
zep33

GM and a thought out plan don't seem to go together very well these days.

I read an article last night that stated most of the repairs are going to be just an insert to snap into the keys to turn the slotted type to the smaller hole type.

I'm sure even with something as simple as that, they'll turn it into a complete nightmare.
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
GM and a thought out plan don't seem to go together very well these days.

I read an article last night that stated most of the repairs are going to be just an insert to snap into the keys to turn the slotted type to the smaller hole type.

I'm sure even with something as simple as that, they'll turn it into a complete nightmare.
Thanks for the update - I wasn't aware that GM was going to resolve the most recent issue with an insert that snapped into the existing slot in the key.

Seems like a clever solution but as you point out given GM's recent track record they'll likely find some way to turn a simple solution into a complex nightmare.