Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
roland

Default New RIM and loyalty program?

What's your take on this "new improved" program? I'm just trying to get thoughts other than just my own on this one. Thoughts and insights are also posted on the Dealer Fixed Operations Advisory Board Issues in workbench.
roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for creating the new thread concerning GM's new RIM program.

The forum has a fair number of GM Parts Managers who are members but only a few actually post. I'll send a PM to one of our most active GM Parts Managers and ask if he'll share his thoughts.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
zep33

Horrible beyond belief
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
tnpartsguy

It takes a crappy program and makes it worse. There is nothing beneficial to the customer in this program. It's GM beating up on the ACD guys again, and forcing more useless bs into the dealerships obsolete parts.

I have more but we're moving the store this week

Richard
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the updates.

It sounds like the universal opinion is GM has taken a step backwards with their new RIM program.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I have more but we're moving the store this week

Richard
Thanks for the update and good luck with the move.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
zep33

more than 1 step backwards

Here are 53 thoughts and growing on the "other" forum:

http://69.5.8.8/forums/noncgi/Forum2/HTML/005441.html

and another 26:

http://69.5.8.8/forums/noncgi/Forum2/HTML/005430.html

Last edited by zep33; 03-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
tnpartsguy

Default :(

it's not Christmas...trust me

I ran my RIM simulation today after I added all the one-hit wonders they want me to stock. 101 parts; $6k. Only about 27 have sold more than once in the last year. About 75 had sales about 4~5 yrs apart.

Is this a good way to stock parts? ABSOLUTELY NOT! This goes against all LOGIC and common sense.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
more than 1 step backwards

Here are 53 thoughts and growing on the "other" forum:

http://69.5.8.8/forums/noncgi/Forum2/HTML/005441.html

and another 26:

http://69.5.8.8/forums/noncgi/Forum2/HTML/005430.html
Thanks for the link.

I scanned some of the posts and it's clear there's not too much applause for GM's new program.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
zep33

that's an understatement LOL
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default Great report in Automotive News

I read an article this morning about GM's new RIM program in Automotive News and thought the reporter did a great job of covering the story from both sides. Here's a link to the report - click here

It seems clear to me that there are a lot of PMs who oppose the program and feel the new loyalty requirements will actually hurt the dealership or make them less competitive when servicing older vehicles. It also seems clear that stocking parts that have a known "no sale" record is simply insane.

And while I'm no expert, it seems that GM is trying to squeeze their AC Delco Wholesale Distributors. GM controls their margins and now they're cutting back one of their primary customers - the GM dealer who need a same-day part. Part of me is surprised GM didn't kill-off the AC Delco Wholesalers during their bankruptcy if that's their current intent.

On a final note, one of the comments following the Automotive News report suggests that GM did an "end run" to get this program past GM's Dealer Council. That appears to be a different spin then what was discussed in the thread that's in AREA 51.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
while I'm no expert, it seems that GM is trying to squeeze their AC Delco Wholesale Distributors. GM controls their margins and now they're cutting back one of their primary customers - the GM dealer who need a same-day part. Part of me is surprised GM didn't kill-off the AC Delco Wholesalers during their bankruptcy if that's their current intent.
Ah, but they tried to sell it off during the bankrupcy, they were asking 1 billion for the Trade Name and Dress "ACDelco", and the worldwide distribution network. ACDelco doesn't build anything, they basically buy parts built to spec on a contract, and sell them - certainly nothing worth 1 billion dollars.

http://wot.motortrend.com/gm-could-p...#axzz2REk6MYyq

The story says GM makes parts, but that is NOT true, they do not make anything, everything ACD is made on contract.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
zep33

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I read an article this morning about GM's new RIM program in Automotive News and thought the reporter did a great job of covering the story from both sides. Here's a link to the report - click here

It seems clear to me that there are a lot of PMs who oppose the program and feel the new loyalty requirements will actually hurt the dealership or make them less competitive when servicing older vehicles. It also seems clear that stocking parts that have a known "no sale" record is simply insane.

And while I'm no expert, it seems that GM is trying to squeeze their AC Delco Wholesale Distributors. GM controls their margins and now they're cutting back one of their primary customers - the GM dealer who need a same-day part. Part of me is surprised GM didn't kill-off the AC Delco Wholesalers during their bankruptcy if that's their current intent.

On a final note, one of the comments following the Automotive News report suggests that GM did an "end run" to get this program past GM's Dealer Council. That appears to be a different spin then what was discussed in the thread that's in AREA 51.
That's actually a terrible article that leaves out most of the bad parts of the program
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
That's actually a terrible article that leaves out most of the bad parts of the program
You might want to add your comments following the report in Automotive News - the story already has 20+ comments. Some people are defending GM's new program - your comments might add some balance.

Concerning Automotive News, in my opinion the report you read is about as critical of an OEM as they're ever going to write/publish.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
tnpartsguy

I sent the writer an Email...and GLORY BE, Have you seen what GM just sent out? A day after the article in AN.... GM removes 2600 parts from SLP, and all dealers RIM Purchase Loyalty is in the highest payout box for the month, whether they get there or not...

Hmmmmm