Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Steve Landry to become CEO of AutoCanada

News reports indicate that the founder of AutoCanada, Canada's largest publically traded dealer group with 53 stores, will be stepping down and Steve Landry, former president of Chrysler Canada, will become the CEO. Here's a link to the news report - click here

The report indicates that AutoCanada has experienced headwinds as the economy in the Alberta region adjusts to falling oil prices.

Although I can hear my Mom's voice ringing in the back of my head, ("If you don't have something nice to say....") I have to take this opportunity to go on record and state that Steve Landry was one of the least talented executives I ever saw at Chrysler. I was not alone in sharing this opinion - I know several people who marveled at how Landry was ever able to climb the corporate ladder.

My bet, for what it's worth, is there will be AutoCanada employees who will find this thread in 90 - 180 days and they'll be hit with a sense of eureka; that they are not alone in their assessment of Landry's incompetence.

I'm also betting the person who made this statement didn't work at a Chrysler Dealership:
“He’s a car guy,” said one dealer who is familiar with Mr. Landry and AutoCanada. “They couldn’t have picked a better guy.”
Time will tell and I've been wrong before. That said, I betting that AutoCanada is going to be a great stock to short...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
srt

Default Steve Landry

DITTO the above comments.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
steve_biegler

How do these guys keep getting high level jobs? Makes no sense.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
How do these guys keep getting high level jobs? Makes no sense.
I think in Landry's case his appeal was he was not the type of executive who would make waves - he seemed happy to go along with whatever his bosses wanted him to do and he could "parrot" the company line better than almost anyone.

I'm betting the vast majority of CJDR Dealers remember watching Landry as he did his monthly telecast from Auburn Hills - sometimes with snow falling in the backgrounds. It didn't matter how bleak the outlook was or how insane the marketing plan was, Landry could come out month after month and "parrot" the company line.

When I look back at the career of someone who I respect, like Bob Lutz, I wonder if a person with strong sense of character who was willing to take a stand and tell their bosses that they're wrong could succeed in today's environment. My bet is probably not - especially if they're working for Sergio Marchionne.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
mryan55

Meanwhile, over at Ford -- ex-GM man Mark LaNeve has announced that the Ford volume program is now more permanent and will stay in force...

Another example of someone who has landed multiple 'big title' jobs with little to show for it when it comes to results.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Meanwhile, over at Ford -- ex-GM man Mark LaNeve has announced that the Ford volume program is now more permanent and will stay in force...

Another example of someone who has landed multiple 'big title' jobs with little to show for it when it comes to results.
Great example.

And based on some of the comments I've read following Ford stories in Automotive News it appears many Ford Dealers are not too happy with LaNeve and question whether Ford is still headed in the right direction since Alan Mulally retired.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
mryan55

My roots in the Ford world do not run very deep at all.

Over coffee in February I did speak with one Ford dealer in Michigan. It was my understanding the A/Z (employee/retiree) purchases don't pay on the volume program or pay a reduced amount?

I imagine this would make hitting the number less important here in the area spanning Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois -- where there are large swaths of Ford employees.

Their assessment of the situation was 'we would like to hit the number, but as long as we are more profitable without chasing it, we don't mind being in the middle of the district instead of at the top.'
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote