Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
crowe

Default 1st Qtr production up 69%

http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...-69-in-quarter

“The average age of vehicles in American driveways has risen from 6.7 years in 2001 to 8.1 years in 2008”

“Consumers may be scared, but they don’t like that rusting hulk in the driveway,”

“The industry expects last year’s hibernation to end, the bear will stick his nose out of the tent.”
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

It's interesting that Toyota is among the most optimistic with their production volumes - increasing 113% over last year.

I agree that fear is the biggest reason why most car buyers are sitting on the sidelines. While economists and gov't officials keep telling us there's a recovery, I don't think the average American believes it.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I agree that fear is the biggest reason why most car buyers are sitting on the sidelines. While economists and gov't officials keep telling us there's a recovery, I don't think the average American believes it.
While fear is definitely a large part, many people are currently in positions where they are unable to upgrade their rides if they want to. How many people do you know that either don't have employment, are working reduced hours, have taken pay and/or benefit cuts to keep their jobs, or now have different jobs that pay less than the one they lost last year? How many people are already buried in their current loan? Lending criteria and ltv rates have changed drastically, people are no longer used to saving for a down payment before purchasing, but instead rolling taxes and back end products into the loan as well. Those days, at least for a time, seem to be over.

The average American doesn't believe that a recovery is ongoing, because they aren't seeing it in their own lives.
Slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo View Post
The average American doesn't believe that a recovery is ongoing, because they aren't seeing it in their own lives.
Excellent post - you nailed it.

An OEM can have a great car with fantastic advertising sold by the world's best dealers but it all means nothing if you can't get the customer bought.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the credit market for 2010.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
Ralph

In the last few weeks, I can honestly say I've had more "ups" asking that we buy them out of a vehicle because of financial troubles than ones asking to look at a new vehicle. Until that kind of climate ends, there's trouble.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote