Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Ford > Sales

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Thumbs up Ford's Full-page ad in Automotive News

I've often said that one of Ford's greatest advantages over GM and Chrysler is they have not fractured their dealer network. They don't have to contend with the ill-will generated as a result of terminating hundreds of dealerships with the blunt tool of bankruptcy.

Taking their advantage one step further, Ford took out a full-page ad in the current issue of Automotive News to emphasize that their dealers are a vital part of Ford's success and the company sees them as partners.

Here's an excerpt from the ad:

What is the one message you would like to give dealers?

The Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers are the backbone of Ford Motor Company and the pillars of their communities. We appreciate the partnership we enjoy and look forward to launching even more new products with our dealers in the coming year.

I'm sure Ford's not perfect and I'm sure there are some factory/dealer issues, but I thought the ad was awesome.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
Ralph

I can't wait for Jim Press to do a full page ad, stating his love and admiration for the Chrysler dealer body, past and present. Oops...maybe Marchionne?
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
MARV

Like many stores, we are serious about our community often donating cars for events/parades and many other civic minded causes. For the last ten or so years 100% of our staff has donated to the United Way. We also give liberally to other charitable causes. Our dealer's personal philosophy is to give back to the community, the church and the auto profession which is why he volunteers on many boards in the area as well as many Ford's events.

I feel certain he is no different than many Chryco/GM dealers that were put out in the cold and it's a crying damn shame.

Thankfully Mullaly & Company have publicly acknowledged the value of their dealer body. I often remind my FMCC reps/desk analysts who the customer is. It ruffles their feathers but it's the truth nonetheless. Timing is everything in business and it appears FoMoCo hit this one on the head. Let us all hope they can continue and that the remaining dealers of the reformed companies of Chrysler/GM flourish.

I have a dear friend in my town who is a GM dealer. She added Pontiac to her lineup a year ago only to have GM slap her in the face with their decision to dissolve the brand. I'm certain she is hurting and I'm sad for her. Her philosophy is very much like my dealer and she's been in business since the 60's.

Unlike some I find NO pleasure in dealer closings. I was surprised that many I know of who have terrible reputations and horrible customer satisfaction on the street resorting to underhanded tactics in closing deals actually survived the closures while others including a dear friend of mine who frequents this forum suffered the axe.
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
daveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARV View Post
I was surprised that many I know of who have terrible reputations and horrible customer satisfaction on the street resorting to underhanded tactics in closing deals actually survived the closures while others including a dear friend of mine who frequents this forum suffered the axe.
It makes no sense on what went into their decision making. One day the truth may come out. The last store I was at had just lost their Dodge franchise and were trying to make a go of it as a "Used car Superstore",as are(were) so many others. As I understand it,they were one of the top selling dealers in the area and the reason they lost their franchise was because they would not bend over to all the requests Dodge was making of their dealers. A little "this will show you" seemed to be taking place when CDJ was closing all of those stores back in June or July. I believe this owner was one of the,if not the,hardest hit in the country,when it came to total stores closed.
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I can't wait for Jim Press to do a full page ad, stating his love and admiration for the Chrysler dealer body, past and present. Oops...maybe Marchionne?
The contrast is sobering. Press threatens the entire Chrysler dealer body on a conference call with the famous "we'll never forget" quote and Ford runs a full page ad in Automotive News to communicate their appreciation to their dealers.

I like Ford's approach better.....
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARV View Post
Like many stores, we are serious about our community often donating cars for events/parades and many other civic minded causes. For the last ten or so years 100% of our staff has donated to the United Way. We also give liberally to other charitable causes. Our dealer's personal philosophy is to give back to the community, the church and the auto profession which is why he volunteers on many boards in the area as well as many Ford's events.
MARV - That's awesome, it sounds like you've found a great dealer to work for.

I think Ford's reference to their dealers being "pillars in their communities" is a direct jab at GM and Chrysler. I still don't think GM or Chrysler have a clue how much damage they did to their customer base as a result of OLDCO terminations.

To Ford's credit, I hope they make Billions by selling cars to former GM and Chrysler customers who choose to support their local/rural dealer.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
MARV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
MARV - That's awesome, it sounds like you've found a great dealer to work for.

I think Ford's reference to their dealers being "pillars in their communities" is a direct jab at GM and Chrysler. I still don't think GM or Chrysler have a clue how much damage they did to their customer base as a result of OLDCO terminations.

To Ford's credit, I hope they make Billions by selling cars to former GM and Chrysler customers who choose to support their local/rural dealer.
I can tell you this, we've got more Chevy/GMC truck trades than ever before in fact we have an entire line stretching all the way to the street.
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Granch

What gets lost in the shuffle was about 3 1/2 back Ford was lookin to trim their dealer body thru buyouts and other means. All prior to the recession. I was at a Ford dealer who closed prior to coming to the CJD store I am at now (I left 3 months before they closed). And in the past 3 years a couple others closed in the area.

The recession killed them, but they also were not gettin any help from Ford.
Granch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granch View Post
What gets lost in the shuffle was about 3 1/2 back Ford was lookin to trim their dealer body thru buyouts and other means. All prior to the recession. I was at a Ford dealer who closed prior to coming to the CJD store I am at now (I left 3 months before they closed). And in the past 3 years a couple others closed in the area.

The recession killed them, but they also were not gettin any help from Ford.
I remember when Ford was buying out stores a couple of years ago - they were pretty aggressive in Southern California and were making some big changes.

Like you commented, I still see Ford stores going out of business so they're certainly not sheltered from the storm that has wiped out other dealers. Then again, the car business has been so bad in California that Toyota and Nissan stores have closed down too.

There's no question that a huge part of Ford's current success is based on timing and part of that timing was just good luck. That said, I think they're making smart decisions and they deserve their success.