Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

View Poll Results: Is your Dealership worried about the hack that impacts Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
No, our computers use Internet Explorer but we haven't taken any actions 1 50.00%
No, our computers use a different Internet browser so we're not affected 0 0%
Yes, our computers use Internet Explorer and we've disabled Adobe Flash 0 0%
Yes, our computers use Internet Explorer and we're concerned but haven't taken any action 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is your Dealership worried about the hack that impacts Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

Is your Dealership worried about the hack that impacts Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

A security issue that allows potential hackers access to a computer via an exploit in Microsoft's Internet Explorer has generated a great deal of news this week. Here's a link to a report from Reuters - click here

Is your Dealership worried about the potential vulnerability that exists with Microsoft's Internet Explorer and has your store taken any preventative measures? Please take our poll and share your thoughts.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Microsoft released a patch this morning....

Well the good news is Microsoft released a patch this morning that will prevent the exploit from working - even on computers that are still running Windows XP.

If your computers are set up for automatic updates they'll like install the update on their own tomorrow. If you're concerned and you don't want to wait, here's a quick recap of how you can install the patch on your own right now:
Here’s how to install the patch:
  1. Go to the start button on the lower left corner on the screen
  2. Type “Windows Update” in the Search Box
  3. Once you get the Search Results click on “Windows Update”
  4. Find the “Check for Updates” link and click it
  5. You’ll likely get “One Important Update” – click that link and select the Security Update for IE 10
Once you get that far it should be pretty straight forward from there.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
mryan55

We've been using Google Chrome for almost everything for the last few years. Believe it or not, most functions on DealerConnect are now good to use in any browser. Some things are funky, but almost everything save for Chrysler Academy seems to work pretty proficiently.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
We've been using Google Chrome for almost everything for the last few years. Believe it or not, most functions on DealerConnect are now good to use in any browser. Some things are funky, but almost everything save for Chrysler Academy seems to work pretty proficiently.
Thanks for the information - that's good to know.

I remember it used to be that DealerConnect functioned very poorly if dealers used any browser other than the one specified and it seemed that DealerConnect was always a release or two behind the current version of Internet Explorer.

I've been very loyal to Microsoft's Internet Explorer over the years but I'm also somewhat of a Google fanboy. Google recently released a new app that allows users with an Android phone to remotely access their desktop computer as long as the desktop computer is running Chrome - that has me thinking about switching to Chrome.

I don't think I'd use remote access too often but I can think of several instances where it would have come in handy when you know you have a file on your desktop computer that you want to access but you're away from your computer and only have your smartphone.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Microsoft Security Patch installed....

Although the first attempt failed, the second attempt was successful and I've installed the Microsoft Security Patch for Internet Explorer.

I also updated to IE 11 and updated to the latest version of Java and removed the old version of Java.

Concerning IE 11, I installed it when it first came out but became frustrated because a lot of the websites I regularly surf were not set up properly for IE 11. I removed IE 11 and reinstalled IE10.

Hopefully now that a fair amount of time has passed my IE 11 experience will be better and the websites I regularly use will work well with IE 11.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Thumbs up Props to Autosoft for keeping their Dealers updated

Although the concern with Microsoft's Internet Explorer now has a solution, one of our members wanted to extend a note of appreciation to their DMS, Autosoft, for keeping them updated and alerting the dealership about precautions that needed to be taken to ensure their computers were safe.

Here's a copy of the alert that was sent to Autosoft dealers:

Props to Autosoft for keeping their Dealers updated.

For our members who use a different DMS, did your DMS provide an alert with suggested precautions or were you mostly on your own?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
mryan55

No such alerts from Reynolds that I have seen. Of course, not a whole lot of web-based stuff from ReyRey, so perhaps no reason to?
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote