Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
ssdd

I have the ds guy in my office right now. he says it is a fee deal they have thousands of dealers nationwide and are refusing to play ball with R&R on this...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
I have the ds guy in my office right now. he says it is a fee deal they have thousands of dealers nationwide and are refusing to play ball with R&R on this...
It sounds like this is a news story that no one has covered yet.

I sent an email message to a reporter I've worked with at Automotive News to make her aware of this thread. If there are thousands of dealers who have been impacted by this change there needs to be a deeper investigation of what's happening.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
ssdd

cut off date was August 15th, many dealers may not know they have been neutered...

I have a call into my R&R rep now...
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
cut off date was August 15th, many dealers may not know they have been neutered...

I have a call into my R&R rep now...
I love your choice of words....

I agree there are probably a lot of dealers who don't even know about this problem yet.

On a different note, I vaguely remember several years ago there was a dispute between the dealers and either ADP or R&R about who owned the data that was stored on the servers. The DMS company who was not involved in the dispute was running full-page ads in Automotive News telling the dealers "It's your data..." as a competitive selling point.

Anyone remember who the DMS provider was who had a dispute with their dealers concerning data in the past?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
ssdd

we switched from dealer specialties to vin solutions today. they are owned by auto trader and they are also in bed with R&R so that made it a seamless transition, but I still think it is a bad business decision on Dealer specialties part to not try and get certified by R&R...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #21
ssdd

The auto trader rep said R&R makes more money of of selling dealers data than they do off of DMS... but who knows, he may be full of it...
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
we switched from dealer specialties to vin solutions today. they are owned by auto trader and they are also in bed with R&R so that made it a seamless transition, but I still think it is a bad business decision on Dealer specialties part to not try and get certified by R&R...
Thanks for the update.

It looks like Reynolds' change is going to cost Dealer Specialties a lot of business - I wonder how much it would have cost them to become "certified" with Reynolds?

That said, I don't blame you for switching to AutoTrader. It's hard enough to run a car dealership without the added hassle of developing a "work-around" solution so a non-approved vendor can still access your data.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
ssdd

Vin solutions said they negotiated a 99.00 per dealer fee with R&R looks like DS could get the same deal if they indeed do have "thousands" of dealers nationwide...
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Vin solutions said they negotiated a 99.00 per dealer fee with R&R looks like DS could get the same deal if they indeed do have "thousands" of dealers nationwide...
Holy smokes, if the information from Vin Solutions is correct and Reynolds and Reynolds is charging vendors $99/dealer to become "certified" then I think that's highway robbery. No wonder no one from R&R responded to my offer to provide their point-of-view to this thread.

Note to Reynolds and Reynolds - It's not your data - it belongs to the dealers and it shouldn't be used for you to shake-down the vendors for your corporate profits.

Granted, the information from Vin Solutions may not be correct and there may be another side to the story but so far R&R's new policy reeks of a money-grab.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #25
XDCX
Administrator

Default DealerRefresh website has a link to this thread

Quote:
I am wondering if this is a nation wide thing or are they doing it in waves by regions....
I was checking IP Addresses this weekend and noticed there was a site that was linking to this thread - it was from the DealerRefreash website. Here's a link to the thread they have on their forum about Reynolds' new policy - click here

Based on the comments from the thread on DealerRefresh I get the impression that Reynolds has not implemented their new program to all of their dealers yet. It appears the controversy is still brewing...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
ssdd

well according to integra-link R&R has only cut off a very few dealers. they say less than 1%... they are demanding that someone in the store extract the data for carfax and dealer rewards, Then send it to them by email...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
well according to integra-link R&R has only cut off a very few dealers. they say less than 1%... they are demanding that someone in the store extract the data for carfax and dealer rewards, Then send it to them by email...
Thanks for the update.

Does that mean that even a top-tier vendor like CARFAX hasn't met the requirements for R&R's certified vendor program? And Dealer Rewards, is that a Chrysler program or do I have it confused with something else?

I also think it's interesting that Reynolds new program is only impacting a very small percentage of dealers. I'm betting there will be a big push-back from their dealers if Reynolds plans to make this a national policy.

On a different note this thread is still attracting a lot of attention - from both Reynolds and Reynolds and their competitors.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
ssdd

The girl from integra-link said R&R called them "data brokers" apparently Chrysler and carfax hired her company to suck the data out and send it to the respective customers.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #29
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
The girl from integra-link said R&R called them "data brokers" apparently Chrysler and carfax hired her company to suck the data out and send it to the respective customers.
Thanks for the clarification. When you mentioned Dealer Rewards I was thinking Chrysler but I didn't know Chrysler and CARFAX used Integra-Link as a vendor to pull data.

Concerning the "data broker" comment from the person at Integra-Link, I can see why some people think R&R is using the dealers' data as a profit center. As I've stated early in this thread, I'm all for data security but this new program smells more like a money grab.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #30
XDCX
Administrator

Default Interesting comments in an email I received...

Removed contents of this post at the request of the individual who sent me the email.

Last edited by XDCX; 09-02-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Removed post based on individual request