Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Forum Operations > Announcements

Notices

Announcements Check here for Announcements from the DealershipForum.com Webmaster

Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Security Advisory - SPAM emails being sent from DealershipForum.com

It has come to my attention that SPAM emails with the Subject Line: "You Can Profit in Five Minutes..." have been sent from an email address that tracks back to the forum.

I'm working with the company that provides hosting for the forum and they're working on the problem.

To be clear, nothing about this Security Advisory impacts our members - your accounts (User Name, password, email, etc.) remain perfectly secure.

The only people who are being impacted by this issue are the recipients of the SPAM email and that email list was provided by the hacker.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Update - Forum Software Update may be required

It appears the hacker has gained access to the forum's email server via an exploit in the vBulletin software. The solution to the problem is to have my hosting company update to the latest software version to eliminate this exploit.

I've been advised that updating the software will take the forum offline for a period of time and may cause some issues with any custom coding I've had done to the site.

I anticipate that the forum software will be updated within the next 24 - 48 hours and the forum may be offline at some point during that span for 1 - 2 hours.

As before, nothing about this security issue impacts our members or their information.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Update - DealershipForum Email Server shut down

In a continuing battle to make this problem with SPAM messages go away I have temporarily terminated my xdcx@dealershipforum.com email address and I have shut down the DealershipForum email servers.

Temporarily terminating email from the forum will complicate the process for adding new members to the forum but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. In the interim I've provided the forum's hosting service with an updated version of the vBulletin software and hope to have it installed within the next 24 - 48 hours.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Update - DealershipForum offline at 6:30 PM Arizona Time

Per the request of the company that hosts the forum, I'm taking DealershipForum offline so they can perform the needed upgraded to bring the SPAM email campaign to an end.

I anticipate the forum will be out of service for 1 - 3 hours.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Update - Software update has been performed - Forum fully operational

I'm happy to report that the software update has been completed and the forum is fully operational. (I was concerned that some of the Forum's custom features might not work after the upgrade but it appears those concerns were unwarranted.)

I'm still working on getting the forum's email servers restored and hope to have that completed in the next day or two.