Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
steve_biegler

Default If you like old dealerships click the link!

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/c...s/dealerships/

If you have a ton of time to kill this is the place.....so many cool pictures of a much more fun era. Enjoy!

http://www.agilitynut.com/showrooms/main.html

Find your home state.

Last edited by steve_biegler; 03-30-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: add link
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the links - they were both entertaining.

I had to smile when I saw "Miss Lube Rack" - I don't think that marketing effort would be too well received in this day and age.

On a different note, to the extent that almost all of the OEMs have their own facility demands I think the days of unique dealership architecture are over.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Miss Lube Rack

Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the links - they were both entertaining.
On a different note, to the extent that almost all of the OEMs have their own facility demands I think the days of unique dealership architecture are over.
You're correct, but I think that's a shame...I love seeing all those old buildings that reflected not only the times, but the vision and personality of the individual dealers that built them. They have so much more "character" than the "cookie cutter" designs mandated by the factory's vision of remaking the auto franchises into a McDonalds system where every store is interchangeable with every other one. Their vision will provide a mediocre, but consistent experience by demanding every dealer follow the same series of processes so the customer knows exactly what to expect. The dealer's forced to spend a huge amount of time and resources to comply with all the factory requirements, making it difficult to provide the "extra personal touch" that once set them apart from everyone else.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
You're correct, but I think that's a shame...I love seeing all those old buildings that reflected not only the times, but the vision and personality of the individual dealers that built them. They have so much more "character" than the "cookie cutter" designs mandated by the factory's vision of remaking the auto franchises into a McDonalds system where every store is interchangeable with every other one. Their vision will provide a mediocre, but consistent experience by demanding every dealer follow the same series of processes so the customer knows exactly what to expect. The dealer's forced to spend a huge amount of time and resources to comply with all the factory requirements, making it difficult to provide the "extra personal touch" that once set them apart from everyone else.
Year after year we teach the factory ways to run our dealerships...
Now, with site control on the new sales/service docs, the factory will be able to have revamped like-kind stores paid for and ready to go should they elect to take over the distribution system.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
You're correct, but I think that's a shame...I love seeing all those old buildings that reflected not only the times, but the vision and personality of the individual dealers that built them.
I totally agree.

My bet is the OEMs will continue to pressure their dealers to have "conforming facilities" and this will be one of the tools the factories can use to reduce the size of their dealer network should they decide to pursue that strategy.

While I can understand the OEMs' concerns that their dealers' facilities present the proper image for their brands I think the requirements to make every facility look similar do nothing to add value for the customer and just increase the dealer's cost of doing business.