Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
TORGY

Default projections & goals

Is anyone willing to share some good practices for projections and goal?
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
tnpartsguy

Default realistic

Stay realistic. Hard to do, most dealers want pie-in-the-sky that won't happen, and it's very hard to talk them down.

Find 1 of 2 things that you do well, and improve them.

Find 1 or 2 things that you or your department does that you don't get paid on (Example, we handle all incoming freight and were handling the radios\/clusters for free - not anymore, i took over the customer pay radios/clusters and put them in as parts sublet now. Parts handles them, stores them, hands them out, ships them back, why shouldn't we get paid? $8,320 per year (4 per week, $40 markup per, x 52 weeks) or more.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
mryan55

1) Incremental gains based on recent history (just because you were up 50% in the last year doesn't mean that is sustainable or realistic)

2) Don't eat the elephant at once. Small steps, one focus at a time

3) Learn from your mistakes... sometimes we set a goal too high or too low... happens to all of us
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Find 1 of 2 things that you do well, and improve them.
Great comment - I think it's often easier to make gains by improving on something that you already do well as opposed to trying to develop a skill set or set of practices for something that isn't your department's strong suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Find 1 or 2 things that you or your department does that you don't get paid on (Example, we handle all incoming freight and were handling the radios\/clusters for free - not anymore, i took over the customer pay radios/clusters and put them in as parts sublet now. Parts handles them, stores them, hands them out, ships them back, why shouldn't we get paid? $8,320 per year (4 per week, $40 markup per, x 52 weeks) or more.
That's an awesome example.

I think the same thought process can be applied to expense control - this is a great time of year to review what's being charged to your department and whether some of those expenses can be cut or eliminated.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
TORGY

thank you for your input. My dealer, like most is always looking at the $ in the end but that's not really what matters the most. Taking care of the customer should be the #1 priority and the rest will come.
I decided to set some smaller incremental goals for increasing sales and gross profits. And I am focusing on reducing special order returns, and building better relationships with our current handful of good wholesale customers as well as making more time for hands on training with our newer employee.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
THETHIRD

Find 1 or 2 things that you or your department does that you don't get paid on (Example, we handle all incoming freight and were handling the radios\/clusters for free - not anymore, i took over the customer pay radios/clusters and put them in as parts sublet now. Parts handles them, stores them, hands them out, ships them back, why shouldn't we get paid? $8,320 per year (4 per week, $40 markup per, x 52 weeks) or more.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't you handle the clusters/radios as a part and bill it as a part, with real markup instead of only $40.00? For customer pay we treat them as such and make anywhere between $125 and $200 per unit. I think you could be leaving money on the table.
THETHIRD is offline   Reply With Quote