Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
GM1112

Default New to GM Parts Dept

I would appreciate someone to provide me with easy to follow step by step instructions for the following "RETURNS PROCEDURES":
1) Customer special order returns
2) Wrong part ordered returns
3) Light core returns
4) Heavy core returns
I am new in the parts dept and have been pretty much thrown in to sink or swim. I have read through the procedures on Global Connect, but they seem
to be very complex to me at this time. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.
GM1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
zep33

Hey - welcome to GM

I would think CSO amd wrong part returns would fall under the same category and are subject to a 35% restocking fee. I try to hold onto them and use my return reserve to send them back at the end of the year. Luckily, I don't have a lot of obsolesence here and last year chose the 75% cash back option for my reserve. Will probably do that this year too.

Core returns are done through Parts Workbench on Global.

You'll want to get a roll of those green stickers if you don't already have them. You can send an email to coreinfo@hlgllc.com to get them - they're free and there's a number on there that is required when you're inputing them into Global. I can offer more help once you get ready to do some. You'll just print a packing list for the light cores off of Global and fill out the PC302 form.

For the heavy cores, you'll input them the same way as the light cores but your PDC will send you labels to put on the parts.

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
tnpartsguy

Default training website

there is also some training for returns on the training website.
How close are you to another GM dealership?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
GM1112

Thanks for the responses I have received so far. Apparently I will be starting some of the online training in January. Hopefully things will start making a little more sense to me when that happens. There is a large GM dealer within 50 miles of my location. I will come back to this thread with more specific questions as I come up with them. I would appreciate you guys monitoring my thread from time to time. I know your expertise will be a big help to me as I move forward in my position. Thanks again.
GM1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

zep33 and tnpartsguy - Thanks for helping out a new member. Good Karma to both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
Luckily, I don't have a lot of obsolesence here and last year chose the 75% cash back option for my reserve. Will probably do that this year too.
Does GM allow a Dealer to use their Return Allowance to return parts they didn't purchase directly from GM?

As an example, if a neighboring dealer was buried in obsolete (but returnable) parts, could a GM dealer buy those parts at a discount and then return them to GM? Would GM check the picking tag on the part and determine it was originally sold to another dealer, or would they even care?

I've heard that some of the larger Public Dealer Groups will pool their Return Allowance but I wasn't sure if that was allowed by the OEMs?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
zep33

That's a good question. Knowing GM, I'm sure it's not allowed. If they can find a reason to not accept a return, they will
Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
tnpartsguy

Angry Yes/No/Maybe

Used to be that any dealer could return ANY current, unused GM part to GM for credit. Nowadays, unless you're a MEGAdealer, you're NEVER going to have enough reserve to keep ahead of the JUNK that GM-RIM sticks you with. There are stil large groups buying OBS for $.20~.30 on the dollar, but I think they are culling it to get some good stuff and trashing the rest.

5 yrs ago I had less than $5k in over 12 MNS parts on a $90K inventory. Now I have nearly $40K on $200K. (Oh, and my off-the-shelf fill rate went from 94% to somewhere around 87%.)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Used to be that any dealer could return ANY current, unused GM part to GM for credit. Nowadays, unless you're a MEGAdealer, you're NEVER going to have enough reserve to keep ahead of the JUNK that GM-RIM sticks you with. There are stil large groups buying OBS for $.20~.30 on the dollar, but I think they are culling it to get some good stuff and trashing the rest.

5 yrs ago I had less than $5k in over 12 MNS parts on a $90K inventory. Now I have nearly $40K on $200K. (Oh, and my off-the-shelf fill rate went from 94% to somewhere around 87%.)
Thanks for the information. I don't have much GM parts experience so I just assumed there were dealers that had excess return allowance.

Do you feel that the increase in obsolete parts you've experienced over the past five years is a problem for most GM dealers? Does GM seem to be aware of the problem and do they seem to care?

From a business standpoint it isn't in GM's best interest to have their dealers loaded with obsolete parts - I'd be curious to learn how widespread this problem is. (Maybe we should start a new thread.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #9
zep33

GM - We're not happy until you're not happy
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
tnpartsguy

Default Widespread!

I'd say it's widespread. Not sure how MANY GM parts guys are here, but I'd BET that everyone of them would say that they feel their OBS parts problems stem from RIM. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for the information. I don't have much GM parts experience so I just assumed there were dealers that had excess return allowance.

Do you feel that the increase in obsolete parts you've experienced over the past five years is a problem for most GM dealers? Does GM seem to be aware of the problem and do they seem to care?

From a business standpoint it isn't in GM's best interest to have their dealers loaded with obsolete parts - I'd be curious to learn how widespread this problem is. (Maybe we should start a new thread.)