Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
possum

Default Need Service Advice

Question & Situation. Customer comes into shop for Warranty repairs. The customer bought the truck at your store. The truck needs engine, or tansmission worked, or replaced. The situation is that the customer has added a grill guard, or changed the bed to a flatbed, or in other words, has altered the truck making it really hard to do the repairs. Now, on warranty time its bad enough, but with the added obstacles, what do you do?
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
scooter

Tell the customer the truth...The grill guard/or modified bed is aftermarket, warranty will not pay for it, so he can either remove it himself or we will charge him to have it removed...We are in a bit of a redneck area, and we have had to give that advise in the past...most people understand
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I agree. Tell the customer the truth and then take care of him if or when he decides to get the work done.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

possum - Great post - that's exactly the type of question that is perfect for the forum.

scooter and SHACOS - thanks for the input/advise.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
zohpy

Just a question since I've never worked service side. Did any of the aftermarket work he did actually void his warranty?
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
CL Pgh

We see this often... but more on the electronics side.

If we have an electrical problem on a vehicle that has had aftermarket remote starters... CB type radios wired in... flashing lights (vol. fire fighter) etc. etc. ... we require equipment to be un-wired prior to chasing down the problem. About 50% of these folks never come back as they realize once the add-on equipment is removed (un-wired) their electrical problem goes away. :shades:
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
CL Pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohpy View Post
Just a question since I've never worked service side. Did any of the aftermarket work he did actually void his warranty?
TRUE STORY: Chrysler denied one of our customers transmission work on an AWD Pacifica because the vehicle had a hitch installed on it. Our Service DM denied the repairs as she was here at the time the vehicle came in. She noted a hitch had been installed and stated that an AWD Pacifica was not permitted to tow, there fore warranty tranny repair denied!!!

Our serv. manager called me immediately to update me... I pulled the deal, got with the service DM & our service manager... pointed out that the customer bought the Mopar hitch & Bike Rack at the time of delivery! The hitch was there for a Mopar Bike Rack, Not Towing! I still had to fight with the service DM to warranty the repair... it wasn't until I pointed out that NO wiring harness was installed on the Pacifica, did she finally approve the repair.

I guess my point here is, YES... Chrysler, given the opportunity will deny warranty repairs on not only aftermarket adds... but also Mopar add-ons (although Mopar adds are RARE).
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Wow, that DM must have either been new or had "control" issues because that's really poor decision making.

I'm glad you got it worked out, but it must have been frustrating to have to spend time solving a problem that never should have been created to begin with.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote