Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Northwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Union protests against Withnell Dodge - The rest of the story

On January 23rd, David Withnell showed up for work to find three people in front of his Dodge dealership with a 50-foot banner stating, “Shame on Withnell Dodge — Hurts our community.” Six weeks later and they're still there.

So what's the nature of the dispute? Is Withnell in a battle with the union over technicians wages? Did he do a facility upgrade without using union labor?

Nope. His dealership was an exhibitor at the Northwest Agricultural Show in Portland.

Apparently the union had a labor dispute with a company that the Northwest Agricultural Show used to build their booths for their event in Portland. And since the union figured it's hard to inflict pain on a trade show company they decided to target the companies that attended the show.

I've never been a big fan of unions and this tactic, in my opinion, illustrates the moronic myopia of many union leaders.

I wish Withnell Dodge and the organizers of the Northwest Agricultural Show much success in their battle with the Pacific NW Regional Council of Carpenters.

For a link to David Withnell's Letter to the Editor - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
The StraightShooter

Typical. What moron's these lunkhead union members must be. Protesting a business that sells Union made products. Actually they're protesting a Union owned manufacturing corporation.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
Actually they're protesting a Union owned manufacturing corporation.
Great point.

The UAW's Health Care Trust still owns 41.5% of Chrysler. Of all the dealerships for a union to protest, a Chrysler store should be at the end of their list.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default What would you do if you were in David Withnell's situation?

I was thinking about David Withnell's situation this afternoon while I was taking a long walk. If I were faced with his situation what would I do?

If it's been six weeks and the "nice guy" approach and "patience" hasn't worked - what's the next step?
-- Could you sue the union?

-- Could you form a counter-protest in an effort to educate the public?

-- Could you go to the media?

-- Or is it best to just wait it out?
What would you do?