Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #31
XDCX
Administrator

Default ESPN's 30 for 30 - Trojan War

I watched ESPN's 90 minute documentary on the rise and fall of USC under Pete Carroll and walked away with mixed impressions.

I was very interested in the subject matter and thought the documentary had some great video clips from the past but I also thought it was over-produced and spent too little time covering the Reggie Bush saga.

Concerning the Reggie Bush scandal, the ESPN documentary didn't even start discussing the issue until there were only 16 minutes left in the show. The viewers were left with little information other than Reggie was sued by an agent who claimed he paid Reggie $200K+ while he was at USC and his Mother and Step-Father had been living in a home in San Diego rent free compliments of a sports marketer.

The documentary also didn't shed any light on why it took the NCAA almost five years to complete their investigation before they imposed any sanctions.

For me a documentary that relied more on facts and information and less on production and drama would have been more interesting. That said, I still enjoyed the documentary for what it was able to convey.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #32
XDCX
Administrator

Default Michigan loses to Michigan State in the final 10 seconds

My Dad and I took a quick trip to Laughlin last week and I bet $20 on the "over" side of the Michigan vs Michigan State game. The over/under was 41.5 so any combined score of 42+ would put me in the money.

I was enjoying the fourth quarter since the combined score had already eclipsed the 42 point mark and was content to see Michigan win a hard fought game at home. All Michigan needed to do to secure the win was punt the ball with 10 seconds left and the clock and prevent a touchdown return.

Easier said than done.....

I don't think I'll forget the ending of that game for a long time - neither will the Michigan punter.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #33
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies lose to Oregon - 26 - 20

After a great win last week against USC I thought the Huskies had a chance to finally put an end to Oregon's winning streak - especially since the Huskies were playing at home.

For the first time in probably a decade the Huskies were favored and I placed a $20 bet on the Huskies and had to give up 3.5 points.

While the Huskies were not playing their best football, Oregon came to play and the return of their injured QB and a Wide Receiver who had been out all season due to discipline issues made a major impact.

Oregon's QB was awesome and there's no question that his return was the reason Oregon won the game.

The Huskies travel to play #10 Stanford next week - I don't think I'll be betting on that game.....
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #34
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
The Huskies travel to play #10 Stanford next week - I don't think I'll be betting on that game.....
Well, no worries about temptation....

It appears the game between Washington and Stanford is such a mismatch the odds makers haven't even provided a spread. At this point I couldn't place a bet on Washington even if I wanted to.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #35
XDCX
Administrator

Default My first parlay bet....

As before, my betting on College Football games is just a novelty to make the games more interesting and amounts to little more than pocket change.

My initial intrigue concerned the self-serve Sports Book kiosk and now that I have figured out how the kiosk works I thought I'd try something new.

I felt pretty solid about my three bets last week so I decided to spend $10 and place a parlay bet on all three games on one ticket.

This was my bet:
  • Picked the "over" at 41.5 points on the Michigan/Michigan State game
  • Picked Washington over Oregon and gave up 3 points
  • Picked Washington State over Oregon State and gave up 8 points
Sadly, my Washington bet was wrong and negated the fact that my two other bets were correct.

Had my Washington bet come through I would have won $60 and had my initial bet of $10 returned for a total payout of $70. I'll admit I was somewhat surprised the parlay payout was that high - I think I'll continue to buy a parlay ticket in the future just because I like the risk/reward ratio.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #36
XDCX
Administrator

Red face Fortunate that I didn't go to Laughlin this week...

In the category of "better to be lucky than good" I'm fortunate I didn't do any betting on last week's games because I think I would have lost every bet.

I was wrong on the Cal/UCLA game and I was very wrong on the Utah/USC game. The Huskies lost this week too although as I mentioned before the game versus Stanford was such a mismatch the Sports Books didn't even provide odds.

That said, I am planning on heading to Laughlin this week. I just read that an eight leg parlay bet of $10 returned almost $2,500 - seems like more fun than buying Lottery Tickets...
Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #37
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies lose to Stanford - 14 - 31

The Huskies were clearly outmatched by Stanford and the fact that UW's starting Quarterback was sidelined due to a shoulder injury made the outcome even less surprising.

While it was great watching Washington beat USC a couple of weeks ago the reality is they're still a young team and they have a ways to go before they will be contenders in the PAC12 again.

The Huskies have Arizona at home next week as a night game. The Huskies might have a chance if they get healthy and have some nasty Seattle weather arrive and force Arizona outside of their comfort zone. Time will tell....
Old 10-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #38
XDCX
Administrator

Default Would you risk losing $70 to make $10?

My Dad and I had a great time the last time we went to Laughlin so we decided to head back for another quick trip this week.

For me part of the fun of betting on football is studying the different types of bets you can make and deciding which bets offer the best risk/return ratio.

For tonight's games one of the bets I'm thinking about concerns the West Virginia at TCU matchup. TCU is favored by 14 points - if you pick TCU to win they have to win by more than 14 points for you to make any money.

An alternative bet is to forget the spread and just bet on the game "straight-up." In this case the current odds require you to put $70 at risk to earn $10 if you think TCU will win tonight's game.

Granted, $10 is just pocket change but it still seems like an interesting way to bet on the game. I'm thinking the odds that West Virginia upsets TCU at home are very low.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #39
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
An alternative bet is to forget the spread and just bet on the game "straight-up." In this case the current odds require you to put $70 at risk to earn $10 if you think TCU will win tonight's game.
When I went to the kiosk to book my bet I was amazed to see that the odds had shifted and now required $220 at risk to make $10 - that was too risky for me so I bailed out and booked my other bets.

Afterward I thought the shift in the odds was because so many other people shared my assessment of the game and the odds moved in response to their bets. I was pretty impressed with my ability to predict the future.

It wasn't until later in the day that I realized the odds shifted because the game had already started - when I was at the kiosk the game was "in-play" - I didn't even know they offered betting on games that were "in-play."
Old 10-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #40
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
My Dad and I had a great time the last time we went to Laughlin so we decided to head back for another quick trip this week.
I bet on Oregon over ASU and thought I earned every penny after watching a roller-coaster game that went into triple overtime.

While I made money on the Oregon bet I lost money by betting on the under and lost more money when I bought a parlay betting on both Oregon and the under.

My bets for today are:
  • Stanford over WSU - had to give up 11 points
  • USC over California - had to give up 5.5 points
  • Michigan vs Minnesota - took the over at 38.5 points
  • Booked a parlay bet combining the three bets above
Old 10-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #41
mryan55

Quote:
I bet on Oregon over ASU and thought I earned every penny after watching a roller-coaster game that went into triple overtime.

While I made money on the Oregon bet I lost money by betting on the under and lost more money when I bought a parlay betting on both Oregon and the under.

My bets for today are:
Michigan vs. Minnesota certainly was an exciting matchup tonight. Minnesota has struggled mightily at times this year but sometimes they do happen to put it all together... versus TCU in week one, Michigan tonight.

Here in the early minutes Washington State looks alright, but I don't think the offense will be able to put up enough points.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #42
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:

My bets for today are:
I ended up two for four.

Stanford's defense was really poor. While they won the game they didn't cover the spread and I lost about $180 that I thought was going to be a sure bet. Oh well, it still made the weekend a little more interesting.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #43
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Michigan vs. Minnesota certainly was an exciting matchup tonight. Minnesota has struggled mightily at times this year but sometimes they do happen to put it all together... versus TCU in week one, Michigan tonight.
I watched the last part of that game - it was a thrilling finish. I really wanted to see Minnesota get the win - I thought they deserved it based on the part of the game I watched.

The last 19 seconds were pretty controversial from a clock management and game strategy standpoint.

Michigan was damn lucky to get the win - it was like the Football Gods were giving Harbough a break after what he had to endure with the Michigan State game.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #44
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies crush Arizona...

The last couple of times I've lost money on a sports bet it was because I was betting on the Huskies.

This past week I decided that even though the Huskies were favored over Arizona the 5.5 point spread was too rich for my blood. I decided I'd bet on a "sure thing" with my Stanford over WSU by 11+ prediction. (My "sure thing" backfired and cost me $180.)

The Huskies ended up not only covering the spread, they crushed Arizona with a final score of 3 to 49.

The Huskies play Utah at home this Saturday and amazingly the early line shows UW as a favorite. Given that Utah was a top 10 school just a couple of weeks ago I think that's amazing. It will be interesting to see how the line shifts as the week progresses.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #45
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies lose to Utah - 34 - 23

The Huskies were actually favored to win by 1.5 points even though Utah was ranked 12 and the Huskies were unranked.

The Huskies had a chance to win but some poor calls from the referees and four turnovers ended those dreams. (While two of the calls were really bad, I can't blame the refs. If you lose the ball four times you can't expect to win against a tough opponent.)

Utah seems to run hot and cold - largely based on the play of their quarterback. The weather in Seattle was rainy and cold and the Utah QB didn't play a great game - it will be interesting to see if Utah can win the rest of their games and be a possible contender for the CFP playoffs.

Concerning the Huskies, they travel to ASU next week. Both teams are 4-5 for the season and badly need a win to keep their hopes for post-season play alive.