Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Other > Sales

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Anyone know one of the 20 Dealers waiting to get a BYD Dealership?

I received a PM from one of our members who was wondering if anyone knew one of the 20 Dealers in the U.S. who are waiting to get a BYD franchise?

For those who may not be up to speed, BYD is a Chinese automaker that's planning to launch an electric vehicle in the U.S. in 2012.

Here's a link to an article the appeared in Automotive News - click here (Subscription may be required.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Here's a picture of the BYD e6 Crossover

Here's a picture of the BYD e6 Crossover:

I think it looks pretty good. If the pricing is right and the vehicle performs as good as it looks there should be a market for this car in the U.S.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
57years

I rode in their car at the Detroit Auto show. Much better Fit and Finish than the Volt, and was all electric. I still think that price is the problem, not the number of recharge stations. (Although, I think the number of hills in the U.S. may also be an "obstiacle"!)
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
I rode in their car at the Detroit Auto show. Much better Fit and Finish than the Volt, and was all electric. I still think that price is the problem, not the number of recharge stations. (Although, I think the number of hills in the U.S. may also be an "obstiacle"!)
I did some surfing on the Internet last night and learned that BYD is the Chinese Auto Company that Warren Buffett invested in a few years back.

There were also some reports that BYD over-produced vehicles last year because of an overly aggressive growth forecast and then forced their dealers to take inventory they didn't want. That sure sounds familiar....
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
57years

Buffet made a "billion" in unrealized gains, then BYD started to "retract." He's still ahead, and now rumors to he might have to buy the rest of the company.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
57years

BYD laying off 70% of its corporate sales force in China. Sales off 19% from a lousy year last year. One Wonders! Buffet's unrealized gain is less than $250 million today!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default BYD - What went wrong when everything looked so right?

Here's an article I found via Google News that recaps the rise and fall of BYD Auto - click here

Essentially the story is too much growth too fast and now the question is how does the company recover. The author of the report feels BYD can turn the company around but it will involve product delays.