Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale - 2015

It's that time of year again and I'm taking the afternoon off and heading to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale, AZ.

While the weather will not be as warm as it was last year, the sky is still blue and the sun is in full view - it should be an enjoyable afternoon/evening.

I'll have my trusty Droid Maxx and I'll shoot some pictures and add them to this thread if I see anything interesting.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
steve_biegler

Travel Safe!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

I had an absolutely AWESOME time and would continue to recommend the Barrett-Jackson experience to those who enjoy looking at cars and following the market.

I'll add some posts/pictures to this thread and others to share some of the highlights.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default A little bit of everything.....

While the top end cars get most of the attention at Barrett-Jackson I also enjoy looking at cars I never even knew existed - like this Corvair Station wagon:

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default BMW i8

Just like the 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat, this stunning BMW i8 was on display without a Bidder Information Sheet affixed to the inside of the windshield. If you didn't know what a BMW i8 was you'd likely walk right by.

I don't know a lot about the BMW i8 but it appears like it's BMW's answer to the Tesla Model S but with two doors instead of four. It also has a 1.3 liter twin turbo engine so it's a hybrid where the Tesla is a pure electric car.
I did a quick search on Ebay and it appears the i8s go for $140K to $180K - it will be interesting to see how this i8 does at Barrett-Jackson.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Pontiac Firebird from GM Herritage Collection

I've always liked the final generation Pontiac Firebirds so it's not uncommon for me to stop and admire one when I'm walking trough the tents.

This, however, was not your average Firebird, it was a GM Heritage vehicle that was being sold by General Motors.

The Bidder Information Sheet indicated the vehicle was used by Pontiac Engineers as a test vehicle for possible performance modifications.

A look under the hood shows a belt driven supercharger and a relatively tiny intercooler.

The Bidder Information Sheet indicated that the vehicle was being sold on a Bill of Sale and the vehicle was not legal for street driving. I wonder if a person could use it as a daily driver on a Dealer Plate?

It will be interesting to see what it sells for....
Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
steve_biegler

Over last weekend I went to Mecum's motorcycle auction in Vegas. After I thought this was much better than going to a museum, great cross section of bikes that you can actually touch! While I like motorcycles, I love cars so I'm looking forward to making a trip to a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum in the future.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Still one of my favorite Chrysler vehicles to emerge from the late 1970s:

The LRE was still at the auction when I was there but by the time I walked by it was too dark to take a picture.

I thought the price of $21K plus 10% fees seemed a bit high based on recent sales. It was a nice LRE and the restoration looked good but it's not like it was a low mile original vehicle.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Over last weekend I went to Mecum's motorcycle auction in Vegas. After I thought this was much better than going to a museum, great cross section of bikes that you can actually touch! While I like motorcycles, I love cars so I'm looking forward to making a trip to a Barrett-Jackson or Mecum in the future.
Totally agree.

Not only is the auction environment more favorable to look at bikes/cars, it's a great chance to see first hand what the market is. I like going to the auction after a fair percentage of the vehicles have already sold so I can walk the inventory and then see what certain vehicles sold for.

There were not too many bargains at Barrett-Jackson but I think if a person were looking for a car they wanted to own, as opposed to sell for a profit, they would do all right at Barrett-Jackson.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Still one of my favorite Chrysler vehicles to emerge from the late 1970s:

The LRE was still at the auction when I was there but by the time I walked by it was too dark to take a picture.

I thought the price of $21K plus 10% fees seemed a bit high based on recent sales. It was a nice LRE and the restoration looked good but it's not like it was a low mile original vehicle.
Not nearly enough money....IMHO of course! LOL!!!
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
While the top end cars get most of the attention at Barrett-Jackson I also enjoy looking at cars I never even knew existed - like this Corvair Station wagon:

Sold for $10K plus fees = $11K.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I've always liked the final generation Pontiac Firebirds so it's not uncommon for me to stop and admire one when I'm walking trough the tents.

This, however, was not your average Firebird, it was a GM Heritage vehicle that was being sold by General Motors.

The Bidder Information Sheet indicated the vehicle was used by Pontiac Engineers as a test vehicle for possible performance modifications.

A look under the hood shows a belt driven supercharger and a relatively tiny intercooler.

The Bidder Information Sheet indicated that the vehicle was being sold on a Bill of Sale and the vehicle was not legal for street driving. I wonder if a person could use it as a daily driver on a Dealer Plate?

It will be interesting to see what it sells for....
Sold for $21K plus fees = $23,100.

I think that's a pretty decent deal for a car that you might be able to drive on a Dealer Plate and then hold onto as a future collectable.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
Not nearly enough money....IMHO of course! LOL!!!
I was thinking of you when I saw the LRE.

At some auctions there are more than one LRE for sale but it appears the one above was the only one offered at this year's event.

I still like the '79 LRE grill better than the '78 grill but I've always read the '78s were a little bit faster/more powerful. One of life's many tradeoffs....
Old 01-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #14
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
I was thinking of you when I saw the LRE.

At some auctions there are more than one LRE for sale but it appears the one above was the only one offered at this year's event.

I still like the '79 LRE grill better than the '78 grill but I've always read the '78s were a little bit faster/more powerful. One of life's many tradeoffs....
I have had both years... Yes, the 78's are a bit faster, and the 79's have catalytic converters, but unleaded fuel is a lot easier to deal with.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Just like the 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat, this stunning BMW i8 was on display without a Bidder Information Sheet affixed to the inside of the windshield. If you didn't know what a BMW i8 was you'd likely walk right by.

I don't know a lot about the BMW i8 but it appears like it's BMW's answer to the Tesla Model S but with two doors instead of four. It also has a 1.3 liter twin turbo engine so it's a hybrid where the Tesla is a pure electric car.
I did a quick search on Ebay and it appears the i8s go for $140K to $180K - it will be interesting to see how this i8 does at Barrett-Jackson.
I just checked and the BMW i8 hammered for $140,000 which means the buyer paid $154,000 with the Barrett-Jackson 10% Buy-fee.