Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Fiat's Sales Chief for Europe Resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I also believe in the final analysis (years from now) people will conclude that Fiat needed Chrysler a lot more than Chrysler needed Fiat.
I just read that Fiat's Sales Chief for all of Europe resigned this morning. Andrea Formica resigned after spending only 11 months at Fiat after leaving his former employer, Toyota.

Here's an excerpt from the Wall Street Journal which may provide the clue why Andrea Formica decided to resign:

"In the first six months of 2011, Fiat was the worst performer among Europe's top six auto makers in terms of sales. Combined sales of Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo cars tumbled 13% and the auto maker's share of the European Union market fell to 7.3% from 8.2% for the same period last year, according to figures from the European Automobile Manufacturers' Association."

"Even Mr. Formica's troubled former employer, Toyota, did better than Fiat, with sales falling 8.2%. Fiat owns 53.5% of Chrysler on a fully diluted basis."
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Needhelp

Is this an indication that there are storm clouds in Chrysler's horizon?
Needhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needhelp View Post
Is this an indication that there are storm clouds in Chrysler's horizon?
I don't want to be predicting "gloom and doom" all of the time I just like to highlight that in my opinion Marchionne doesn't warrant the hype and he's way too arrogant given Fiat's current situation and the prospects for their future.

My main point is I remain convinced that Fiat needed Chrysler more than Chrysler needed Fiat. To the extent Chrysler's bailout was funded by the U.S. taxpayers any OEM could have "saved" Chrysler. A deal with Nissan would have worked, as would have a deal with Hyundai/KIA, General Motors, etc.

It's been over two years since Fiat took control and there's nothing on a Chrysler showroom to show for it. By contrast, look how many Chrysler products have been re-branded and sent to Europe to prop up Fiat's struggling sales - Chrysler T&C, Chrysler 300, Dodge Journey, etc.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I don't want to be predicting "gloom and doom" all of the time I just like to highlight that in my opinion Marchionne doesn't warrant the hype and he's way too arrogant given Fiat's current situation and the prospects for their future.

My main point is I remain convinced that Fiat needed Chrysler more than Chrysler needed Fiat. To the extent Chrysler's bailout was funded by the U.S. taxpayers any OEM could have "saved" Chrysler. A deal with Nissan would have worked, as would have a deal with Hyundai/KIA, General Motors, etc.

It's been over two years since Fiat took control and there's nothing on a Chrysler showroom to show for it. By contrast, look how many Chrysler products have been re-branded and sent to Europe to prop up Fiat's struggling sales - Chrysler T&C, Chrysler 300, Dodge Journey, etc.
And just this week... the 200 Conv't is going to be a Lancia Flavia Cabriolet.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
And just this week... the 200 Conv't is going to be a Lancia Flavia Cabriolet.
Good point.

I've been meaning to put a thread together with a picture of all the re-branded Chrysler vehicles that are for sale in Europe. By the time you add the Jeeps into the mix I've got to think it's a sizable portion of Fiat's total portfolio of vehicles.