Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
angewi6

Default Login Issues with the CARS Website

Did anyone else try to login this morning and receive an error saying password/user id invalid?

I have been logging in every 30 minutes for the last two weeks, so I doubt it is "operator error".

I requested "login assistance" 45 minutes ago and still nothing in my email and I am starting to panic!

Last edited by XDCX; 08-13-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Changed Thread Title to provide more clarity
angewi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Just to be clear, you're referring to the CARS website and not DealershipForum.com, correct?

If so, I'll make a change to your thread so there's no confusion.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
angewi6

Yes, Cars.gov. Thank you very much and sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angewi6 View Post
Yes, Cars.gov. Thank you very much and sorry for the confusion.
No worries, I'll change the title of your thread.

Back to the original question, has anyone had problems logging into the CARS site this morning?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
crowe

Password Lockout and Resetting Your Password
Note: If the password you use is erroneous for three consecutive times, you will be locked out. You will receive an error message such as the one in the following screen.
7. Select the 'Login Assistance' link located just below the Login button.
8. Enter your User Name.
9. Select Forgot Password.
Note: You will receive a CARS Password Reset Request Confirmation notice. Within 10- 15 minutes, you will receive an email with further instructions.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
angewi6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe View Post
Password Lockout and Resetting Your Password
Note: If the password you use is erroneous for three consecutive times, you will be locked out. You will receive an error message such as the one in the following screen.
7. Select the 'Login Assistance' link located just below the Login button.
8. Enter your User Name.
9. Select Forgot Password.
Note: You will receive a CARS Password Reset Request Confirmation notice. Within 10- 15 minutes, you will receive an email with further instructions.
I went through the login assistance about an hour and half ago, now I am on hold with the hotline.

Maybe they can manually reset it over the phone. I am crossing my fingers.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
angewi6

Finally, I got through to the call center. When my call was answered she said that there were still 60 calls on hold!

She says she can see my submitted requests for password reset, but did not know why in the last three hours it had not been reset and sent to my email.
She does not see any reason that I should have been locked out so, she gave me a ticket number and told me someone might call me back in 48 hours. At least she was honest!

If they don't call back, I will need to call them again with the ticket number.

She does not have the ability to reset it over the phone for me. She didn't really give me information, but at least this time, the person who answered the phone was pleasant and not ticked off at the world.

Did anyone else have their registration rejected and they just couldn’t log in... I know it is pessimistic, but if it can go wrong, it seems it will.

*If you call the hotline, make sure you have your 15 digit auth code that was on your initial notification letter from NHTSA, they have asked me for it both times that I have gotten through since this whole fiasco started.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Txflyer

I got logged in, just to find my 3rd rejection.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Finally, I got through to the call center. When my call was answered she said that there were still 60 calls on hold!
Thanks for the post, that was great information.

It's amazing what a cluster the CARS program has become:

-- 80% of the claims reject
-- Claims don't get paid in 10 days per the original announcement
-- Extensive Hold Times with 60 calls holding
-- E-mails returned in 48 hours - maybe, maybe not...

I can understand why dealers don't want to do any more CARS deals until they get paid on the first round.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
angewi6

I finally got my email, 12 hours later. It seems their network must have been so overwhelmed, that their computer generated password reset system (or whatever, I am not a webmaster) was even backed up. Logged on and am actually relieved that the same two rejected deals from yesterday are the only black sheep of my submissions.

Did everyone see the "Cars Checklist” on the “Official Information” page which appears to be the actual checklist a processor goes through on cars.gov? It seems to be missing from the cars.gov site all of a sudden. I printed it, so I will scan in the am and submit to the thread. It is really interesting. It also may give dealers an idea about how far they are in the approval process based on the rejection code, since it seems that they follow the same procedure for each deal.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
angewi6

Quote:
I finally got my email, 12 hours later. It seems their network must have been so overwhelmed, that their computer generated password reset system (or whatever, I am not a webmaster) was even backed up. Logged on and am actually relieved that the same two rejected deals from yesterday are the only black sheep of my submissions.

Did everyone see the "Cars Checklist” on the “Official Information” page which appears to be the actual checklist a processor goes through on cars.gov? It seems to be missing from the cars.gov site all of a sudden. I printed it, so I will scan in the am and submit to the thread. It is really interesting. It also may give dealers an idea about how far they are in the approval process based on the rejection code, since it seems that they follow the same procedure for each deal.

Found it, guess it didn’t disappear suspiciously, that will teach me to have more faith in this program. LOL

http://www.cars.gov/files/user-guide/CARS-checklist.pdf