Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
PACarDealer

Default Manheim Online

I'm considering buying from Manheim as I grow tired of the garbage that I have to overpay for at the current place I go to. I realize that right now I will probably have to overpay anywhere I go but it is the idea of the junk and the "dealer screwing dealer" feel that I get when I am there.

It is too far for me to realistically go to as it's nearly 3 hours from here. Has anyone dealt with Manheim online? I have a few questions about it if anyone has answers for me.

I have been reading their site but until I sign up, they won't tell much. I have Auction Access so signing up is easy enough but I want to be sure I do it correctly and sign up with the right place. I also want to be sure that when I sign up, that it's not like some requirement that I have to attend.

I am an ex mechanic so I like to be able to look the cars over before I buy them. Many times have I found head gasket issues just by pulling the oil cap. If I was to buy online, this is not something that I could do. Is there someone there that you would pay to do this for you? Or....maybe they are more trustworthy there to begin with?

Another problem I would face...getting the units that I purchase. I assume they have some sort of delivery service...is the delivery charge reasonable?

Lat question....I see OVE posted all over their site. Is OVE part of Manheim, something different, or just what they use for simulcast?

Any help I can get in answering any of this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
PACarDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
79LilRedExpress

Buying cars on-line can be a challenge for dealers with years of experience...

That being said, I would recommend that you go in person for a while, even if it is a three hour trip.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
PACarDealer

Problem with that....6 hours just in driving...whole day wasted in the shop. Then I still have to be able to get them back somehow. I am it here. My wife does paperwork here but refuses to have anything to do with actually selling cars. It kind of limits me.

So buying online isn't all that easy....that figures.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
CL Pgh

Got to be something closer to you than a 6hr round trip. How about their NY location... Newburgh, NY??? Have you tried to do a Google search for other area auto auctions other than Manheim?
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
PACarDealer

I have near me one in Scranton (about 50 minutes from here) and one in Taylor (about an hour). The one in Taylor isn't big enough to accept Auction Access and they only run about 50 a week...maybe.

I hadn't considered NY so thanks for that. That's 1 1/2 hours from me...that is possible to do. Am I at a disadvantage to buying cars out of state?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
jlewis74

If you are going to buy from Manheim PA online pick out one of the big sellers there and stick to their lanes and do your day worth of research before hand and review condition reports. I usually print them off after I purchase the car incase something comes up. Look up the Adcock Brothers lane and Hollenshed they have condition reports on all their units and usually they stand behind them.
jlewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarDealer View Post
Problem with that....6 hours just in driving...whole day wasted in the shop. Then I still have to be able to get them back somehow. I am it here. My wife does paperwork here but refuses to have anything to do with actually selling cars. It kind of limits me.

So buying online isn't all that easy....that figures.
Just sayin....

One day out of the store will never equal a $2000 bad purchase mistake(s)

And we all have made them
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Lat question....I see OVE posted all over their site. Is OVE part of Manheim, something different, or just what they use for simulcast?
OVE is Manheim's "Online Vehicle Exchange" that allows their members to bid on vehicles before they hit the auction lane. (Exmaple: A Hertz rental car that has been removed from service but is still in transit to the auction.)

Here's a YouTube video that does a good job of explaining what OVE is and how it works - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Another problem I would face...getting the units that I purchase. I assume they have some sort of delivery service...is the delivery charge reasonable?
You might want to check out this thread - click here

In the thread above a couple of our members shared what they do when they need to have vehicles transported from the auction to their dealership.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote