Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > Mercedes Benz > Sales

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Are U.S. Customers ready for a Front Wheel Drive Mercedes?

When I read headlines indicating the new 2014 Mercedes CLA that's due to arrive in the U.S. in April will be front wheel drive I was shocked. I've always associated both Mercedes and BMW as German Luxury makers that only offered rear wheel drive vehicles.

Here's a link to a review by Cars.com that includes pictures of the new CLA - click here

I like the look/design of the car and understand that part of the reason Mercedes needed to bring a smaller car to the U.S. was to comply with Federal Fuel Economy requirements.

My bet, for what it's worth, is the Mercedes purists will reject the car because of its small size and front wheel drive architecture but I bet the the rest of the market will respond to the car (if it's priced correctly) and it will be a strong seller.

I never liked the idea of a four door Porsche when I first learned about the Panamera but I'll concede that I was wrong and there was a market for the car.

What do you think - will a FWD Mercedes sell in America?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
steve_biegler

I can see lots of them in the parking lots of high schools in high end neighborhoods. Upper class families wanting the kids driving a status car, something they perceive to be better/safer than other makes.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
I can see lots of them in the parking lots of high schools in high end neighborhoods. Upper class families wanting the kids driving a status car, something they perceive to be better/safer than other makes.
BINGO !
New MB vs used BMW or Volvo
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Interesting comment - I could see that happening too.

I bet Mercedes would be pleased to see that happen - they're hoping that the CLA draws younger buyers to the brand and they've added features to the CLA to make it more attractive to younger drivers.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
zohpy

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't that look an awful lot like Cadillac's old Catera?
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohpy View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't that look an awful lot like Cadillac's old Catera?
Rear pillar and 1/4 panel.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
DealerEx

Quote:
OUCH! and what a fine piece of engineering that was...right up there with the elegant Cimmarron
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
mr4t60e

That car will make a nice yuppie starter kit.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
OUCH! and what a fine piece of engineering that was...right up there with the elegant Cimmarron
That would be the "death knell" for Mercedes new car.

I like the styling of the CLA but I do see a hint of the Catera. For Mercedes sake let's hope their potential buyers don't see any similarities.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default I read that Mercedes isn't showing the CLA at the Detroit Auto Show

I read a report that while Mercedes unveiled the CLA just before the Detroit Auto Show the vehicle will not be on display.

Apparently the execs at Mercedes don't want the CLA to draw any attention away from their new E-Class which will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show.

I can see the logic in their decision.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default Not available until September....

I liked the commercial Mercedes aired during the Super Bowl but I was surprised when commercial indicated the CLA won't be available until September - that's seven months from now.

That said, to the extent Mercedes doesn't have an existing product that competes with the CLA I can understand why it's to their benefit to tout the car early.