Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
KNGMPARTS

Default GM Parts direct!!!!!!!!

I have never posted on here, but have read a lot and got some good insight on things. Now I have a question for you all, How are you coping with this GM Parts direct. I know it has been around awhile, but it seems almost every 3rd customer we are dealing with is asking for part#s, so they can go online and buy there. I have refused to give out numbers over the retail counter or phone, and people get really aggressive with us. They think because it says"GM" we have something to do with it. I am wondering how you guys are handling these situations, and how are we supposed to compete when GM Parts direct is selling parts for around 10% over.
KNGMPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Megadraught

I have spoken about this in a previous post, I'll be happy to give my two cents worth.
Unfortunately, our world contains lots of "dealership haters". Not giving out a part number to a customer is yet another reason for that person to speak badly of the dealership.
The way I see it, I have helped the person out now, and maybe somewhere down the line that person will be stuck to get something and he/she will think of my place first.

As far as pricing goes, if asked why the difference my usual reply is "I do not charge shipping and/or duty (from Canada here), I will accept returns if it is not an electrical item, and I can have your part here tomorrow."

As I have said in the past, dealerships generally get a bad rap as far as parts go, no need to give the customer yet another reason to be pissed off at us.
Megadraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
tnpartsguy

Unhappy

I'm on the list of dealerships to hate. The dealer bought into revolution parts, and set the highest markup to 10%. I shipped a $909 parts yesterday and made a whopping $56 on it. And that's before pay pal fees.

I'm not giving out the website to ANYONE.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
KNGMPARTS

Belive me I
uderstand about not wanting to give them another reason to bad mouth us, but the ones that get all upset are the ones that already hate and bad mouth us, they are the ones that only come here because the napa or autozone down the street can't figure out what the customer needs. They will tell the customer to come up here or call us and get the number so they can cross it. I also have people throw it right I our faces that "all I want is the part number so I can go online and buy it, I'm Not paying your price." This is why I can no longer justify giving out part numbers. I thought long and hard about this over the weekend and made my decision. By the way the owner sides with me. I had this happen 4 times last friday, that's what brought this to a boiling point with me. thanks for letting me vent and get your opinion.
KNGMPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
TORGY

we try to keep the sale by discounting our retail by 15%, and let the that were not as large as these other dealerships, and do not purchase in the volumes that these other dealerships do, so we can not discount as much as they can. Surprisingly we do tend to get the sale about 40% of the time. I may also guilt them a little by letting them know that buying from us is supporting local business, which is very important in a smaller community. But for those people who are just being jerks about getting the part number I just give them a quote number and tell them that if they need to pick the part up or order it from us just bring in the quote number and we can order up their items after they pay for them.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
SYSTEMBOB

If a customer wont take no for an answer, ill give em an old number if i can
SYSTEMBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
zep33

There was a post in another forum about this issue where a counterman had looked up an incorrect part (I believe it was a fan blade), given the part # to the guy, he ordered it somewhere else, installed it and it caused engine damage or something bad happened. Dealership that gave out the number got sued and lost.

After that post, several dealers changed their policies on giving out part #s
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
zep33

Just found the repost of it over at dealersedge:

"Example: This is a post that has been revived in every one of these conversations so far so here it is again
by RLWOLF » Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Many years ago, one of my counter salesman was courteous enough to give a customer the part# over the phone for a fan blade for a medium duty truck, which we had in stock.
The customer went to another dealership and purchased the blade. As luck would have it, my employee looked up the wrong fan blade.
It either had too many blades, or not enough, (I can't remember).
Anyway, it caused a vibration, which (over time) put stress on the water pump shaft.
The shaft eventually broke, the fan blade went into the radiator, and thru the fiberglass tilt hood, causing several thousand dollars in damage.
As you would expect, the dealership he purchased the blade from wouldn't give him any help,since he furnished the part#, and it was the wrong blade.
He then came to us, and we sent him back to the dealership he purchased it from.
To make a long story shorter, we ended up in court and were found to be at fault, because we furnished the part#, which caused the customer to purchase the wrong fan blade.
It was quite an expensive lesson.
So, THERE IS A LIABILITY TO GIVING OUT A PART# TO ANY CUSTOMER.
That is exactly what we tell the customer, and most all of them are ok with it.
When one gets upset or irate, I leave my office and take about 10 minutes of their time telling them this story, and explaining to them that "that's why we no longer furnish part#s."
It always works.
ThanksRLWOLF"
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
Just found the repost of it over at dealersedge:

"Example: This is a post that has been revived in every one of these conversations so far so here it is again
by RLWOLF » Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Many years ago, one of my counter salesman was courteous enough to give a customer the part# over the phone for a fan blade for a medium duty truck, which we had in stock.
The customer went to another dealership and purchased the blade. As luck would have it, my employee looked up the wrong fan blade.
It either had too many blades, or not enough, (I can't remember).
Anyway, it caused a vibration, which (over time) put stress on the water pump shaft.
The shaft eventually broke, the fan blade went into the radiator, and thru the fiberglass tilt hood, causing several thousand dollars in damage.
As you would expect, the dealership he purchased the blade from wouldn't give him any help,since he furnished the part#, and it was the wrong blade.
He then came to us, and we sent him back to the dealership he purchased it from.
To make a long story shorter, we ended up in court and were found to be at fault, because we furnished the part#, which caused the customer to purchase the wrong fan blade.
It was quite an expensive lesson.
So, THERE IS A LIABILITY TO GIVING OUT A PART# TO ANY CUSTOMER.
That is exactly what we tell the customer, and most all of them are ok with it.
When one gets upset or irate, I leave my office and take about 10 minutes of their time telling them this story, and explaining to them that "that's why we no longer furnish part#s."
It always works.
ThanksRLWOLF"
I'm getting caught up and just read this post - thanks for posting this great information.

Given the legal system in the U.S. I can't say I'm too surprised to learn that the Dealership that provided a part number as a goodwill gesture was ultimately sued and lost in court when the information provided was later determined to be incorrect.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote