Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Let's face it, a lot of ads on TV get fast forwarded and not even seen. And with the advent of Dish's skip commercial programming (or whatever they call it) how long until TV advertising goes the way of newspaper advertising.
I read that two of the major networks and one of the smaller ones have filed a lawsuit against Dish for their new "Hopper" DVR which features the ability to easily skip through commercials. I know with Tivo I skip through most commercials but I'll watch the ones that are entertaining or the ones that provide information on a new product I might be interested in.

Concerning newspapers, I haven't purchased one for years.

I know that Warren Buffet just bought a bunch of Independent Newspapers and made comments that the days of "free news" are going to be limited because it's not a viable business model. There's no question that Buffet's a smart guy but I have a hard time imagining that people are going to pay a subscription to read news online. Time will tell....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
twkrantz

In 10 years facebook will be like disco is now.
twkrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twkrantz View Post
In 10 years facebook will be like disco is now.
That's an interesting comment.

On one side I'd argue that Facebook has grown so large that they're a brand that will always be significant. On the other side, I would have never thought that MySpace would have imploded the way that they did.

Essentially Facebook was the new kid on the block and they destroyed MySpace by providing people a better experience. Who's to say that Facebook isn't vulnerable to the same plight by some website we haven't even heard of yet?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
79LilRedExpress

Yahoo is another example... I see it is trading at $15./share while GGLE is in the high $500. range.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
Yahoo is another example... I see it is trading at $15./share while GGLE is in the high $500. range.
That's a great example.

I remember being very brand loyal to Yahoo at one point and I'd always use Yahoo as my search engine. I could be wrong, but I think there was a short time where Yahoo actually promoted Google and that's when I started to use Google on a regular basis. Once I started using Google I never looked back....

I still use Yahoo for their Finance site but that's about it. Hell, if I can't find something on Google I'd use Bing before I'd try Yahoo. Yahoo really dropped the ball and their founder absolutely screwed their shareholders when he refused Microsoft's takeover offer because he wanted to remain in control.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...chester-united

I don't know about the areas you guys live in, but professional soccer never caught on here. And from the people I know around the country, it's the same everywhere. While I completely understand dropping Facebook advertising, this is the answer? It's like Wagoner never left, the poor decision making has to end somewhere. Just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong on the whole soccer deal.
I thought about this post on Monday when I read that GM fired Joel Ewanick as their Global Marketing Chief. It was reported that soccer sponsorship was the issue that lead to the firing.

Here's a link to a report in Automotive News - click here

I won't pretend to be a marketing genius but it looks to me like GM paid way too much money for sponsoring Manchester United and one of the bean counters must have finally figured it out.

It was also reported that Ewanick's bosses didn't know he was going to make a statement regarding GM's plans for Facebook and the Super Bowl and they had to scramble to repair the damage that was done when Ewanick made his comments to the press.