Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Question Whatever happened with J.D. Powers?

I remember a time when people anxiously awaited the release of the J.D. Powers Initial Quality Results.

As soon as the report was released the media would jump on the story reporting the brands with the best and worse vehicles. The manufacturers would issue press releases responding to the report - either pumping their product up or defending poor results.

I know that J.D. Powers still release the report, the question is why has it lost its impact?

Was it just a fad? Has vehicle quality increased to the point where it is no longer an issue? Or, has the Internet reduced the publics reliance on third party reviews?

What are your thoughts?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
bruce350

JD Who?

They'll stick their name on anything that they get paid to endorse. In the real world, customers don't care. They want what they want. I've been at the same Ford Chrysler store since 1983 and the only mention of JD Power is when one of the auto makers send us some propaganda to hang up or distribute.
bruce350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce350 View Post
JD Who?

They'll stick their name on anything that they get paid to endorse. In the real world, customers don't care. They want what they want. I've been at the same Ford Chrysler store since 1983 and the only mention of JD Power is when one of the auto makers send us some propaganda to hang up or distribute.
JD Who? - That answers the question.

I think the power of the Internet has diminished the value of Third Party Endorsements. J.D. Powers, Consumer Reports, Motor Trend's Car of the Year, etc. - they just don't have that much impact anymore.

Concerning Consumer Reports, I think that publication will become increasingly insignificant as the Internet grows. Why should I care about the opinion of small staff of writers when I have access to hundreds of owners?

My dad was looking for a Big Screen LCD last year and I suggested that he read the owner reviews on CNET.com. It's an awesome site if you're looking for an electronic item and you want some feedback before you make your purchase.

Thanks for the post Bruce350, I always like you direct approach.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote