Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > South Central Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Jacksonville Dealer has 12 cars "booted" by the city for parking infractions

News reports indicate that a Jacksonville, FL dealership had 12 of their cars "booted" by city traffic enforcement officers because the vehicles were parked in an area near the highway that was supposed to be limited to landscaping only. Here's a link to the news report - click here

In my experience most cities are so happy to receive the sales tax revenue generated by car dealerships that they wouldn't take an action as drastic as this. Granted, the dealership was warned on four occasions but I'm not sure who "wins" by having the cars moved.

I'm hoping that crime must be non-existent in Jacksonville if city officials have so much time on their hands that they can make a big deal over where a dealership displays their vehicles.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
57years

I parked 10 cars on grass, belonging to me, 100 feet away from the right of way, for a display for a few days...result was each car was tagged for "improper parking." No, the civil authorities do not give a damn about business in this community. They know a business has only the votes of any employee who lives in city limits. If they do not appear to "have under control" the businesses, they will not get re-elected to those terrible 20 cent jobs, by the residents.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
No, the civil authorities do not give a damn about business in this community. They know a business has only the votes of any employee who lives in city limits. If they do not appear to "have under control" the businesses, they will not get re-elected to those terrible 20 cent jobs, by the residents.
That's an interesting thought.

I was wondering if one of the dealer's competitors was making an issue of the parking and that's why the city responded. I remember one market I was in where one dealer would routinely complain to the state authorities about the other dealers' print advertising.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That's an interesting thought.

I was wondering if one of the dealer's competitors was making an issue of the parking and that's why the city responded. I remember one market I was in where one dealer would routinely complain to the state authorities about the other dealers' print advertising.
That happens ...quite often...saw a number of cases of that happening in 10 years on the advertising board. Not just on actual ads, but also on stuff such as displaying cars at a shopping mall, rodeos, football games, supermarket parking lots...etc...all requiring approval by the DMV because of the way the dealer license is worded. Most dealers couldn't care less, but some would always file a complaint even if it didn't affect them personally.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
57years

Yes, and that's the right thing to do...keep the playing field LEVEL!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote