Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > East Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Unhappy Investigators determine cause of explosion that took an employee's life

Investigators have just released their findings into the cause of an explosion that took the life of a vendor employee who was working at Balise Honda in West Springfield, MA. Here's a link to the news report - click here

Incredibly, the employee used a disposable lighter to peer into a 55 gallon drum of tire cleaning solvent to determine how much of the solvent remained. He was on his cell phone with the vendor that supplies the solvent at the time of the explosion.

The employee worked for Real Clean Automotive Detailing a company that provides on-site detailing services for 130 dealers in seven states.

I'll withhold my commentary out of respect for the dead, but this story might be a good topic for your dealership's next Safety Meeting.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
steve_biegler

So sad for all involved. Stories like this are proof that you can NEVER be to safe.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is subcontracting detail operations a regional thing?

Beyond the safety message, the other part of the story I thought was interesting was how many dealerships the subcontracted detail company had agreements with. (130 dealers in seven states.)

Is subcontracting detail operations a regional thing?

On the West Coast I can think of a few dealers who lease out space at their dealership to a vendor who runs the detail operation, but there's no company I know of that's soliciting these accounts.

I'm a little surprised there are that many dealers who were willing to give up control of their detail department.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
mr4t60e

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Real Clean was a supplier for detailing chemicals and supplies.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that Real Clean was a supplier for detailing chemicals and supplies.
I'm not sure who the chemical supplier was, but Real Clean was leasing space from the dealership and hiring their own employees to run the detail operation.

As before, I'm surprised there are so many dealers who are willing to give up control of their detailing operations; Real Clean must have a compelling program.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
marshmotors

Tragic story, but entirely preventable and kind of makes you shake your head and wonder what people are thinking sometimes.
marshmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmotors View Post
Tragic story, but entirely preventable and kind of makes you shake your head and wonder what people are thinking sometimes.
I agree. Part of me wonders if the vendor on the phone jokingly suggested the employee should use a lighter to check the fluid level and the employee took him seriously.