Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > Mercedes Benz > Sales

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
AR2

Default The New S-Class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBb3PvArMnY

Could this be the greatest car on the planet? If not, then it has to be close. Of course, the product film is very well done as well. I'm not much of a Mercedes fan, but this car and the film caught my attention. Very well done!
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I'm still getting caught up and just had a chance to watch the YouTube video - it was very well done.

Overall I like the styling of the new S-Class and I agree that it sets the standard for luxury and technology. Some of the new accident avoidance technology is simply amazing. There's no question in my mind that we're not too far away from having "self-driving" cars become available in the marketplace.

The one feature I didn't see in the S-Class video was the availability of "self-parking" technology - I wonder if it's even available? Clearly Mercedes has the technology to offer self-parking - I just wonder if the Germans are opposed to the idea in the same way they hated installing cup holders in their cars?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
KevinDavis

Wow that's amazing with iconic design and groundbreaking design Mercedez Benz S class.I agree it lacks in self parking technology but the Brake Assist System detect crossing traffic and pedestrians, which is amazing
KevinDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDavis View Post
I agree it lacks in self parking technology but the Brake Assist System detect crossing traffic and pedestrians, which is amazing
My bet is Mercedes could easily incorporate the self-parking feature in the new S-Class but they refuse to do it because they don't want to be seen as pandering to people who don't know how to drive.

It's like BMW and cup holders - I remember reading that the Germans hated the idea of adding cup holders to their vehicles because they felt cup holders detracted from the driving experience. Ultimately BMW caved in when it was clear the U.S. customers were demanding interiors with cup holders.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdcx View Post
my bet is mercedes could easily incorporate the self-parking feature in the new s-class but they refuse to do it because they don't want to be seen as pandering to people who don't know how to drive.

It's like bmw and cup holders - i remember reading that the germans hated the idea of adding cup holders to their vehicles because they felt cup holders detracted from the driving experience. Ultimately bmw caved in when it was clear the u.s. Customers were demanding interiors with cup holders.
just look at the cup holder in the next crossfire that you see...
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Bondo

The S Class will not only parallel park itself, but it will back-in as well. Steering Assist, is the coolest--it will literally follow the car in front of it, making small corrections to the wheel as you drive (or even bigger ones). It knows if you take your hands off the wheel, however, and will only let you do so for 15 seconds at a time.

Self parking is available on the ML, E Class, CL, CLS, and GL.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
The S Class will not only parallel park itself, but it will back-in as well. Steering Assist, is the coolest--it will literally follow the car in front of it, making small corrections to the wheel as you drive (or even bigger ones). It knows if you take your hands off the wheel, however, and will only let you do so for 15 seconds at a time.

Self parking is available on the ML, E Class, CL, CLS, and GL.
Thanks for updating this thread with the correct information.

I was under the mistaken impression that Mercedes didn't offer parking assist on their cars. While I'm still betting there are some hard-core German Engineers who are opposed to the concept there's no question that the parking assist features are something that many consumers want.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Bondo

It definitely gets the most "wows" during demonstration.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote