Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
ssdd

Default Wiadvisor

I have received a number of calls from Chrysler dealers regarding a new product that Chrysler is requiring dealers to purchase (for each service advisor) at around $1,200 per unit plus a monthly service charge for each unit. The device is called the Wiadvisor. It is a hand held unit that the service advisor takes with them for a walk around the vehicle with the customer. They plug the unit into the OBD port under the dash while with the customer. Its purpose is to collect vehicle mechanical data which is fed back to the dealer’s computer and the factory. I would suspect that it helps advisors upsell service on issues that the customer may not be aware of. Aside from information security issues, what the dealers want to know (especially the smaller ones) :

1. Is this an “essential tool” under their SSA?

2. Is there a definition of “essential tools” in the SSA? Or, is it what the company deems to be essential?

3. Is there any way to refuse to purchase this product?
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
chryslersrt8

It's essential to the factory and the vendor's pocketbook!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
DealerEx

The only definition in my old SSA says "special tools and equipment necessary for servicing and repairing specified CC vehicles properly, efficiently and competitively."

pretty vague terms, which boils down to: if they say you you have to have it, you do.

RIPOFF? of course...always has been. I'd think you're going to have to purchase at least one unit...tell'em you don't have specified service advisors and the service manager does all the writeups...in a small store you can probably slide by on that.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
ssdd

Thanks guys!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

ssdd - Thanks for creating the thread. This is the first I've heard that Chrysler is planning to make Wiadvior a required piece of equipment for dealers to purchase.

Personally, while I love technology, I think it's a stretch for Chrysler to contend that a device designed to improve the Service Write-up process is a required tool. What does Wiadvisor do that a Service Advisor couldn't do using the traditional process? While pulling data from an OBDII connection may seem impressive to a customer, what does it actually accomplish? Does Chrysler want Service Advisors to start diagnosing vehicles on the Service Drive - that's definitely not a good idea.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Will the Advisors actually use this "required" tool?

The last time I had an oil change for my Jeep I took it to Moore Chrysler/Jeep and noticed the Service Advisor had a hand-held device he could take out to the vehicle to gather information and complete the write-up process.

I asked him if he ever used it and he commented that while it's nice to have he rarely used it. He mentioned that due to the sweltering heat that Arizona experiences in the summer that most customers refused to stand outside by their vehicle while he asked questions and gathered information. The customers wanted to be inside his office where it's nice and cool, so that's where he goes to complete the write up process.

As before, I love new technology but I'm not convinced that a mobile write-up solution should be a "required" tool.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Mopar1979

Default Exciting

This a great addition to the service write-up. It is not a diagnostic tool, advisors will not/should not be doing diag. on the drive. Advisors will have first knowledge that there are software updates available an can add those to the repair order. Plenty of times have I seen 2,3,4,5, or even 6 updates on a vehicle as much as 1.2hrs. added to a repair order that could have been done at the last visit that was over looked by a tech. Advisors that have missed required services, recalls, RRT'S, vehicles leaving with incorrect tire pressures, inaccurate pricing. This addition is HUGE we need to embrace it and take advantage of it. Dealers are expected to be above all the competition and this is a tool to help us!
Mopar1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
conn02

I was told that he won't be a "required", but they seem to be really pressing it
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
ssdd

Thanks again for the feedback guys!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1979 View Post
This a great addition to the service write-up. It is not a diagnostic tool, advisors will not/should not be doing diag. on the drive. Advisors will have first knowledge that there are software updates available an can add those to the repair order. Plenty of times have I seen 2,3,4,5, or even 6 updates on a vehicle as much as 1.2hrs. added to a repair order that could have been done at the last visit that was over looked by a tech. Advisors that have missed required services, recalls, RRT'S, vehicles leaving with incorrect tire pressures, inaccurate pricing. This addition is HUGE we need to embrace it and take advantage of it. Dealers are expected to be above all the competition and this is a tool to help us!
Wow, you seem to be pretty enthused about Chrysler's new Wiadvisor.

I've done a little bit of digging and it appears that Dealer-FX is the vendor for the wiADVISOR and I'm guessing the "wi" stands for "Walkaround and Inspection."

As before, I love new technology but I hope this isn't something Chrysler ends up forcing on their dealers. I'd also be curious to hear what the monthly fees are? Personally, I hate monthly fees and I wonder why a product like the wiADVISOR would have to be updated monthly.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
3rdgenchry

Email I got from them is as follows:
Installation $ 1750.00
Monthly subscription fee
A $ 300
B 400
C 600
D 800
E 900
Equipment fees Micro pod $ 375
access point $ 150
Plus many add ons
3rdgenchry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenchry View Post
Email I got from them is as follows:
Installation $ 1750.00
Monthly subscription fee
A $ 300
B 400
C 600
D 800
E 900
Equipment fees Micro pod $ 375
access point $ 150
Plus many add ons
Wow, those monthly fees are insane. How can it possibly cost up to $900/month to support a handheld device used by Service Advisors?

Even $900/year would seem expensive. How many changes can there be from one month to the next? How much extra service does a Dealer need to sell before they break even on their investment?

If the WiAdvisor is such a great selling tool, why doesn't Chrysler provide them for FREE so Auburn Hills can experience the benefit of increased Mopar Parts sales?
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Adpros

This, (Despite the age of this thread), is news to me. We don't use it and, I have not heard talk of it until here on the forum. I don't see what all the additional costs are about either. Seems they could easily integrate this with the WiTech diagnostic tool/network.
Adpros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adpros View Post
This, (Despite the age of this thread), is news to me. We don't use it and, I have not heard talk of it until here on the forum. I don't see what all the additional costs are about either. Seems they could easily integrate this with the WiTech diagnostic tool/network.
Thanks for the information.

I was under the impression that Chrysler was pushing all of their dealers to purchase this equipment (along with the monthly fees) as a tool for their Service Advisors to use. Maybe some Business Centers were pushing harder than others.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
conn02

They have backed off of requiring it since they can't get it working well for the big 2 (R&R and ADP). lots of issues with ADP and not working at all for R&R, at least not that I have heard. More concerned with the $5000 A/C machine (essential tool) we received last week for our Cherokee that hasn't even started production yet!
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote