Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Hyundai/Kia > Sales

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
KiaChuck

Default Warning about Kia cards

Hello All.
I wanted to take a few minutes to warn people who may carry balances on their Kia cards as opposed to pulling the money out immediatley.
For 4 days in April criminals in three different countries used my card to the tune of $740. I immediatley contacted Citi and, even though serveral of the charges were still in pending status, they informed me that there was nothing that they could do.
Even more disturbing, they informed me that the other cards that Citi issues carry what they called a "provisional credit" program. This program would allow the funds to be placed back on my card while I await the response from the investigation team. Unfortunately, Kia decided that it is not worth the cost to protect our money so I have to wait the 45-90 days that it takes the team to finish up their investigation.
I have contacted Citi, Kia Performance Center and my District Sales Manager. All of them have confirmed that the program does indeed exist but that Kia does not participate in it.
Citi also let me know that our cards do not have any type of fraud/suspicious activity alert on them. So, regardless of how outlandish the purchases may be there is nothing that will trigger any type of alert like a normal credit card would. My charges were on 3 different continents within 4 days of each other and still nothing appeared suspicious.
Please pass on to all of your employees and stress how important it is they keep a close eye on their balances and that they remove the money immediatley after funds have been posted to the card. I'm calling companies all over the world to try to get my money back and believe me it is no picnic.
If this has happened to anyone else, I wouldn't mind hearing how you resolved the situation as well.
Thanks guys and happy sellin!

Chuck
KiaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Chuck,

Welcome to DealershipForum and thanks for the warning about the incentive card KIA provides their retail salespeople.

I think this is the second time KIA's had an issue with their incentive card - the last time their vendor went out of business and it took weeks to find a suitable replacement.

Concerning your experience, like you, I would have assumed that non-authorized charges on your KIA card would be provided the same level of protection as a credit card or a debit card. (Typically a maximum exposure of $50.)

Thanks again for the warning and good luck with your efforts to get your $740 back.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
crowe

Good luck & thanks for the warning.

My personal BOA debit card was hit for 3k within 15 minutes of leaving a store w/ purchases made in another country. BOA put it all back.

w/ the Chrysler card you can transfer the money to your checking account.
No such luck w/ the KIA card.

I was caught short when Kia’s last card vendor went BK. I pay the ATM fees & unload it quick.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
KiaChuck

Yes, I remember that issue well. What happened to good old fashioned checks in the mail??
It sounds like I will get my money back but the fact that it will take 45-90 days as the process plays out is annoying to say the least. Especially since there is a program for exactly this situation which would put the funds back immediatley. Kia just does not participate in it over what I can only assume is a cost issue to them.
I've been making as much noise as I can over it but am not really getting anywhere. It looks like it is just something we will have to put up with. I guess it really jsut boils down to not their money, not their problem.
KiaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiaChuck View Post
Kia just does not participate in it over what I can only assume is a cost issue to them.
I've been making as much noise as I can over it but am not really getting anywhere. It looks like it is just something we will have to put up with. I guess it really jsut boils down to not their money, not their problem.
Overall I hear mostly positive things about KIA in regards to their treatment of their dealers and salespeople but I agree with your assessment that KIA likely declined to participate in a Citibank's anti-fraud program to save money. (I can't think of any other reason why KIA wouldn't want to offer this protection to their retail salespeople and managers.)

I'll do some digging and see if there's anything I can do to draw more attention to this issue. My bet is a senior manager at KIA would conclude that what little money they save by opting out of Citibank's anti-fraud program isn't worth the frustration that's created for their retail salespeople and managers. I'm sure KIA would rather have you spending your time selling cars instead of trying to reverse charges on your KIA Card that were made in three different countries.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote