Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Question Automotive News story on Lithia - Late and wrong?

One of the reasons that I created DealershipForum.com is because I love Internet Forums - they're fast, efficient and interactive.

When I read today's story in Automotive News about Lithia's Fourth Quarter results and the departure of Don Jones, Jr., my first reaction was that it was just old news. My second reaction, however, was that they got the story wrong. And when you're talking about information, "late and wrong" are not the benchmarks that you strive for.

The part that they got wrong concerned the "reporting irregularities" and the "franchise impairments" - they have them tied together where the impairments are a result of the irregularities. That's not the way I interpreted the information released during the Conference Call.

The story in Automotive News indicates that Lithia took a $1.8 Million charge for "franchise impairments" due to the sales reporting issues. I think they got the story wrong.

Lithia's Management never indicated how many stores were involved with the sales reporting issue and they never indicated which franchises may be involved.

The "franchise impairment," as I understand it, relates to the amount of "goodwill" or "blue sky" a franchise can command in the marketplace. The franchises that were mentioned, Chrysler, Ford and Hyundai, would all be examples of franchises with dwindling "blue sky" values.

If I'm wrong, I know that there are members that will correct my mistakes and ensure that the correct information is presented. When Automotive News is wrong, thousands of readers are exposed to incorrect information and have to wait a week or more before the error is corrected.

Long live the Internet.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Was it the Reporter or the Stock Analyst?

In fairness to the reporter, I have assumed that she was the one who got the story wrong. Maybe it was one of her sources?

Is it possible that a Stock Analyst would confuse the sales reporting issue with the franchise impairment issue? I hope not, but I guess I can't rule it out either.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I'll comment after we issue our 10K.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I'll comment after we issue our 10K.
That would be awesome.

I read the Automotive News story three times before I decided to make that post. I still think they got the story wrong - I guess I'll have to wait for the 10K before I know for sure.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Automotive News - Still late and still wrong?

I just received my March 24, 2008 edition of Automotive News and smiled when I read the story about "Lithia looks into improper sales reports at dealerships."

My initial rant that started this thread was based on the belief that Automotive News got the Lithia story wrong. (And it was old news when they finally reported it.)

The first story reported that Lithia was taking "franchise impairments" of $1.8 million as a result of the sales reporting issues. The second story reaffirms that position.

My belief is that the sales reporting issue and the "franchise impairment" issues are NOT related.

As before, this will all get sorted out when the 10K is released.