Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
blauto

Default Grand CHerokee Fuel Pump(s)

WE are having a great deal of difficulty with an 04 Grand CHerokee V6.
the vehicle was stalling out. We found a wire broken and replaced it March, 2010. Then IN august, 2010 same symptom. we diagnosed a faulty fuel pump
and replaced it. Problem We were no longer a Chrysler dealer. Neighboring dealer replaced the part under original factory warranty.

In 11/2010 same problem. Chrysler dealer covered it under parts warranty but Customer ate the labor. We provide loaner.

5/2011 again same problem. We put another pump on and off he went. Again covered under CHrysler parts warranty.

Customer drove home and same problem. We drove it in the morning and it ran great for 10 miles then stopped. It would not start. You can get it to start by banging the gas tank just like you would for a faulty fuel pump.

Can it be possible that 4 fuel pumps were bad. Has any body else had this problem? Any suggestions?

How do you guys handle the customer when you have to send it back to a factory dealer that will take 2 weeks to get it in the shop?
blauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
steve_biegler

Check the ground, if its bad it could cause bad spots in the armature of the pump motor. Just a thought.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
The StraightShooter

I smell a rodent.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauto View Post
Can it be possible that 4 fuel pumps were bad. Has any body else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Sorry for my delayed response, I'm reading this thread for the first time today.

In answer to your question it's almost statistically impossible for one vehicle to have four failed fuel pumps unless there was a product problem that was impacting all vehicles.

The fact you found a broken wire on your first repair is intriguing - I wonder if there's a problem with the wire harness that's preventing the fuel pump from receiving a reliable source of 12 volt current? It would have been interesting to install one of the "failed" fuel pumps on another vehicle and see how it performed.

My only other thought is a mis-formed fuel tank that's putting pressure on the fuel pump assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauto View Post
How do you guys handle the customer when you have to send it back to a factory dealer that will take 2 weeks to get it in the shop?
That's got to be hard. I'm sure your customer gets frustrated but there's not much you can do to speed up the repair process if you have to sublet the warranty work.

My only thought would be to have your customer look into one of Chrysler Service Contract's Convenience Packages that offer Alternate Transportation coverage. Some of the plans are pretty inexpensive and it might help take some of the sting out of sending the vehicle to another dealer to get repaired.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote