Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > East Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #31
Jeff Duvall

Does anyone know for sure if the Barbera dealership has a real estate or capital loan with Chrysler Financial?
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #32
The StraightShooter

Yes he did or does. His tax evasion conviction stemmed from him having his dealer rewards checks made out to him personally and not his business. Its a sad story. He was the youngest person ever awarded a franchise. I believe he was only in his early to mid 20's. Still you gotta wonder why Chrysler didn't deep six him. My opinion is that they have not terminated him because I don't believe they could find a dealer to fill the point.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the Barbera dealership has a real estate or capital loan with Chrysler Financial?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
Yes he did or does. His tax evasion conviction stemmed from him having his dealer rewards checks made out to him personally and not his business.
With his tax evasion conviction it's clear Barbera had his floorline with Chrysler Financial but that doesn't necessarily mean he had a real estate or capital loan with CF.

That said, there had to be a reason GMAC didn't extend a floorline - either the store wasn't viable or their were loans in place that no longer had sufficient collateral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
Its a sad story. He was the youngest person ever awarded a franchise. I believe he was only in his early to mid 20's. Still you gotta wonder why Chrysler didn't deep six him. My opinion is that they have not terminated him because I don't believe they could find a dealer to fill the point.
I don't know - if the store hasn't had a floorline for the past year how much new car volume could they have been doing for Chrysler?

I do recall seeing an ad in the Classified Section of Automotive News a few weeks ago describing a store that sounded like Barbera's. As before, I don't know that market - I don't know if he has a desireable point or not.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #34
XDCX
Administrator

Default Article in New York Times

Here's an interesting article the New York Times ran last December - the article includes a Q and A session with Gary Barbera - click here

I'm just guessing, but my bet is the Prosecuting Attorney in Barbera's case wasn't amused. Six weeks later and members of the State Police are hauling off documents - is it just a coincidence?

Final question - the article infers that Barbera's store is selling about 60% of the volume it did at its peak - did Barbera get a floorline? Is the link to his Chrysler website showing three vehicles in inventory incorrect?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #35
XDCX
Administrator

Default Doesn't Chrysler's Dealer Agreement have a provision to address felons?

I guess I have one more question.

Doesn't Chrysler's Dealer Agreement have a provision which prevents individuals with a felony conviction from owning a dealership?

Here's an excerpt from the New York Times article - "Now 46, Mr. Barbera recently pleaded guilty to one felony count of filing false tax returns."

To be clear, I've never met Mr. Barbera and I don't have anything against him. It just seems odd that Chrysler allows his dealer code to remain active if it's correct his dealership doesn't have a flooring source and he's been convicted of a felony.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #36
XDCX
Administrator

Default Update of Gary Barbera's Autoland

Since this thread still gets a lot of traffic from Google Searches, I wanted to update it with a post that was made in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eag View Post
On the Barbera dealership a new dealer purchased the store and they are using a slightly different name Barbera's Autoland. The Barberas ares still their as employees I think.
I'm happy to hear the point is still active and they're selling cars in volume again.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #37
dodgequality

Dealership now has a new Dealer Code
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #38
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Dealership now has a new Dealer Code
Thanks for the update - it's great to hear the point is selling cars again.