Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
We do safety inspects on wholesale vehicles as well. I think it's like $90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Used trade ins are always inspected, then determined if to be wholesaled or not.
Would your dealership still do an inspection if the sales department knew the vehicle was going to be wholesaled when they took it in as a trade? As an example, if your sales department took in a 2002 Camry with 240,000 miles would it still get inspected, or would it just be sent to auction?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
We always did inspections on dealer trades also. You are the delivering dealer and it reflects on your dealership. This came about when a new dealer trade was delivered with little or no fluid in the rear end. Even though another dealer had been paid and did the PDI, we had to fight GM for the repairs at 1200 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
You would be surprised how many dealer trade vehicles have the lug nuts too loose or too tight... We use a torque wrench on every vehicle that goes into our service dept. incl customer service vehicles.
You both make great points.

Maybe the practice of inspecting New Car Dealer Trades is more common than I thought.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Would your dealership still do an inspection if the sales department knew the vehicle was going to be wholesaled when they took it in as a trade? As an example, if your sales department took in a 2002 Camry with 240,000 miles would it still get inspected, or would it just be sent to auction?
Yes, we would. We can't have a wholesaler or the auction guys drive a car off our lot and have a wheel fall off, now can we? (and yes, it has happened).

Unless it's an absolute POS and we know it's being towed off to the Co-Part auction, it gets a safety inspection.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
mr4t60e

At the last dealer I worked for, that Camry would have been sold to one of the sleazier used car salesman's brothers-in-law (or some other similar distant relation) without first being inspected. Only after the sale is complete, the UCD would want it inspected, and invariably, it would need some expensive repairs.

I would like to think that after making the dealership look bad several times, that a policy would have been introduced that would prevent the above from happening, but nothing ever came of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
CarguyCO

500 new
1000 used...
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
Lakeshow

There are certain instances where a vehicle will go directly to wholesale without a full inspection. However, it's a 120 mile drive to the auction so fluids, lug nuts, etc. are usually checked if the vehicle is not transported.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, we would. We can't have a wholesaler or the auction guys drive a car off our lot and have a wheel fall off, now can we? (and yes, it has happened).
I can understand why your store would have that policy in place.

Quote:
Unless it's an absolute POS and we know it's being towed off to the Co-Part auction, it gets a safety inspection.
Glad to hear your store's using Copart - I'm still working on a plan to fund the forum's expansion by sending more business to their auctions.

Concerning the POS comment, I had to laugh, that's the association most dealers seem to have with Copart. Copart has some big plans and they definitely want to increase the business they do with franchise dealers but they'll have to address this image so dealers know Copart can sell any of their wholesale units, not just the clunkers.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
At the last dealer I worked for, that Camry would have been sold to one of the sleazier used car salesman's brothers-in-law (or some other similar distant relation) without first being inspected. Only after the sale is complete, the UCD would want it inspected, and invariably, it would need some expensive repairs.

I would like to think that after making the dealership look bad several times, that a policy would have been introduced that would prevent the above from happening, but nothing ever came of it.
I remember working with a dealer who was convinced that 50% of the Used Car Managers he ever employed stole from his company in some form or fashion. There's no question that there are some shady operators out there.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyCO View Post
500 new
1000 used...
Wow, those are some big numbers.

I know your store sells some big volume so it's obviously working.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
CarguyCO

"removed by carguyco"

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
"removed by carguyco"

Does this mean you'd like your post to disappear?

If so, just let me know and I'll remove your post.

Last edited by XDCX; 02-15-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added missing word - "I'll"
Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
CarguyCO

nope...I already edited my post...
Thank you so much though...
some things should be left in a persons head...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
nope...I already edited my post...
Thank you so much though...
some things should be left in a persons head...
Great - I just wanted to make sure.

In some ways my initial reaction to a high pack is it must limit the motivation of the sales staff and impact sales. That said, I've known some high volume stores that had high packs.

I guess it boils down to what the dealer does with the pack money. If the money is spent on advertising, promotions, spiffs for the sales staff, etc. it can be a "win-win" for the dealer and the sales staff. By contrast, if all of the pack money goes right to the bottom line I'd bet most new car deals end up being "mini" deals and there would be a lot of turnover with the sales staff.