Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Has there been much consumer interest in the Wireless Charging feature?

I'm getting the itch to buy a new smartphone and one of the features I'm undecided on is the benefit of wireless charging.

Many of the top Android and Windows phones now offer wireless charging and I know some OEMs are offering a built-in wireless charging pad in their vehicles. It's my understanding that the Toyota Avalon, Toyota Prius, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dart and Jeep Cherokee all offer this feature.

Has there been much interest in the Wireless Charging feature or are customers mostly not-impressed?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
tnpartsguy

Default mobile hotspot

There has been ZERO interest in GM's mobile hotspot, at least here.
Most people laugh when they see it, because of the price. Would be stupid to buy one, when Verizon will give you a free one with a 2 yr contract.

http://www.wilsoncountymotors.com/GM...01284080966243

tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
CDCJ

The wireless charging pads have a little interest but what most customers don't realize is that you will have to have a special case on your phone for it to work.........the case makes contact with the charging surface and that's how it charges your phone.
CDCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
mr4t60e

I'd much rather have a battery that can go 3 days or more with normal use without needing a recharge rather than a gimmick like wireless charging.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
There has been ZERO interest in GM's mobile hotspot, at least here.
Most people laugh when they see it, because of the price. Would be stupid to buy one, when Verizon will give you a free one with a 2 yr contract.

http://www.wilsoncountymotors.com/GM...01284080966243

When I first heard the concept of a mobile hotspot for a vehicle I thought it would be awesome. But now that most smartphones can offer tethering with their own hotspot I don't see the need anymore.

And to your point, GM's going to have a hard time selling a product that Verizon gives away for free...
Old 12-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCJ View Post
The wireless charging pads have a little interest but what most customers don't realize is that you will have to have a special case on your phone for it to work.........the case makes contact with the charging surface and that's how it charges your phone.
Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing that since Apple is still not in the wireless charging game that there's only going to be moderate interest in this feature.

As I understand it, the Qi wireless charging system that's being used by Chrysler and Toyota will work with several Android phones without any special covers - the Droid Maxx and Nexus 5 are examples.

I've also read that GM is going to equip some of their 2014 vehicles with a wireless charging system but they're using a different standard called - Powermat. (GM apparently has an equity position in Powermat - that's why they're pushing that version of wireless charging.)

Qi and Powermat are not compatible, so we've got another VHS vs Betamax situation on our hands.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
I'd much rather have a battery that can go 3 days or more with normal use without needing a recharge rather than a gimmick like wireless charging.
I totally agree.

I think the idea of having a wireless charging pad in a vehicle is interesting, but I doubt I'd use it very often even if I had a compatible phone.

For short trips I mostly keep my phone in my front pocket and for longer trips I typically mount my phone to the windshield with a car dock and use Google Maps and stream Pandora.