Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default College Football - 2013

I haven't had a chance to spend too much time on the forum lately but I had to create a new thread concerning College Football for 2013.

The UW Huskies opened up against #19 ranked Boise State and played the game on a beautiful day in their freshly renovated stadium. The Huskies played well and crushed Boise State with a score of 38 to 6.

The Huskies are ranked #20 in the AP Poll today and they have a bye next week so I should be able to enjoy at least two weeks of having them as a ranked team. (If they play as well as they played last week, the Huskies may be ranked for the entire year.)

It's great to have College Football back and I'm looking forward to an exciting season.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
mryan55

Me too... my Northwestern Wildcats put it all together against Cal... at least in the second half. Here's to a new season, and hopefully a (rare) Rose Bowl berth for the 'Cats!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Lakeshow

After our first losing season in twenty-five years, and failing to make the playoffs for the first time in eighteen years; I think my Montana Grizzlies are back! We easily handed cross country rival and ranked Appalachian State a loss to start the season. After a year of suspensions, firings, NCAA and DOJ investigations, and trials; we get our team back. I know it's FCS football, but remember real football has playoffs.

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footb...090113aae.html
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
I know it's FCS football, but remember real football has playoffs.
That's awesome - Quote of the Week material....

Thankfully the Division One schools only have this final season with the BCS system and then they'll have their own mini-playoff system.

Concerning College Football, I love watching any game - it doesn't have to be Division One. In fact, some of the most entertaining games I've ever watched were High School games that I watched from the stands.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies move to 2 - 0 and are ranked #17 in the Nation

The Huskies played Illinois on Saturday and managed to secure a 34 - 24 win on Soldier Field.

The Huskies didn't play great but it was good to see them get a victory on the road - something they've really struggled with over the past few years.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default WSU beats USC

OK, I know this is old news but I have to add a post to this thread to congratulate the WSU Cougars for their victory over USC.

The Cougs beat USC at home with a score of 10 - 7 on September 7th.

It wasn't that long ago that the Cougs had the absolute worse team in the Pac 12 and USC was the perennial #1 favorite. As a Husky it's hard to get too excited for WSU but I'm no fan of Lane Kiffin and it's been fun to watch him squirm as more USC fans are calling for him to get fired.

The Cougs look like they're going to be tough this year - even more competition in the Pac 12.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
The Huskies played Illinois on Saturday and managed to secure a 34 - 24 win on Soldier Field.

The Huskies didn't play great but it was good to see them get a victory on the road - something they've really struggled with over the past few years.
I figured Washington would beat the Illini. I'm just surprised Illinois kept the game close. After last year's terrible performance, a lot of people were expecting Illinois to get run over and it didn't happen. So, I guess that is something to build on.

Congratulations on the well-fought win from an Illini fan!
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I figured Washington would beat the Illini. I'm just surprised Illinois kept the game close. After last year's terrible performance, a lot of people were expecting Illinois to get run over and it didn't happen. So, I guess that is something to build on.

Congratulations on the well-fought win from an Illini fan!
Great to hear from an Illinois fan....

I agree the game was pretty close and Illinois was a tough opponent. I hope the rest of the season goes well for the Fighting Illini.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Thumbs up Huskies are 4 - 0 and Number 15 in the Country

The Huskies beat Arizona last Saturday with a score of 31 - 13 in weather that was miserable even by Seattle's standards.

The Huskies are 4 - 0 - that's the first time that's happened since 2001.

The Huskies will face a touch challenge next week as they play Stanford on the road. Stanford just slaughtered the WSU Cougars with a score of 55 - 17. Stanford could have made the score 155 - 17 if they wanted - they play a very physical game of football and were in complete control. (WSU lost two QBs to injuries in just three consecutive plays - I bet the third string guy was wondering if he really wanted to play or not. )

Overall, it was a good week for the Pac-12. Five of the Pac-12 schools are ranked in the Top 25.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Kiffen gets fired....

Quote:
As a Husky it's hard to get too excited for WSU but I'm no fan of Lane Kiffin and it's been fun to watch him squirm as more USC fans are calling for him to get fired.
As I've stated, I'm no fan of Lane Kiffin but firing a head coach in the Airport Parking Lot while the Team Bus is still idling seems a little cold.

It will be interesting to see who USC selects as their next coach. The USC fans are not used to losing football games and money is not in short supply with their program. USC is still dealing with some NCAA sanctions that limit their scholarships but there's no question they'll be a powerhouse team again in the future.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
AR2

I'm surprised Illinois has won three games so far this year. They are 3-1 with the only loss coming from Washington so far. Of course, Illinois played Miami of Ohio Saturday, so it is really hard to see if the Fighting Illini are getting better or not. The real judge will be BIG 10 play. I'm not looking forward to that, but things might turn out better than expected.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I'm surprised Illinois has won three games so far this year. They are 3-1 with the only loss coming from Washington so far. Of course, Illinois played Miami of Ohio Saturday, so it is really hard to see if the Fighting Illini are getting better or not. The real judge will be BIG 10 play. I'm not looking forward to that, but things might turn out better than expected.
Congratulations on the 3 -1 start to the season - hopefully your season will progress with more positive results.

The one nice thing about starting off with an easy schedule is injuries - I watched Stanford crush WSU and I think WSU will need several weeks before they can recover from the damage inflicted by Stanford.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
AR2

Quote:
Congratulations on the 3 -1 start to the season - hopefully your season will progress with more positive results.

The one nice thing about starting off with an easy schedule is injuries - I watched Stanford crush WSU and I think WSU will need several weeks before they can recover from the damage inflicted by Stanford.
Well, Illinois started the Big 10 season with a thud. They lost to Nebraska 39-19. I didn't follow the game, but apparently Nebraska had over 500 yds of offensive. This is also Illinois' 15th straight Big 10 loss. Something needs to change in Champaign-Urbana regarding the football program. It has been in the basement too long!

The good news is that college basketball is right around the corner and Illinois will have an interesting team on the court. The program is looking up.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Default Huskies lose to Stanford - now 4 - 1 and ranked #16

I finally had a chance to watch the UW/Stanford game on Tivo last night and while I was sad to see the Huskies lose 28 - 31 I thought they played a pretty decent game and could have beat Stanford if a few calls would have gone the other way.

The Huskies had a ton of penalties - many of them were the Huskies fault but a couple of them were just poor calls by the PAC-12 officials.

The Huskies play Oregon at home next week - it should be an interesting game.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Default USC gets their first "Post-Kiffin" victory over Arizona

I was happy to see USC get their first victory in the "Post-Kiffin" era with a victory over Arizona last night.

I watched part of the game and it appeared that the emphasis with USC was about having fun and starting a new chapter now that Kiffin is gone.

One thing I noticed during the parts of the game I watched was the commentary the announce crew had towards Kiffin. One of the crew members commented that every member of the USC team had a smile on their face once Kiffin was fired and another made a comment that the USC victory was great to get rid of the "stench" from the Kiffin era.

As a Washington fan, I remember how careful the announce crews were not to say anything disparaging about Tyrone Willingham when he was about to get fired after a horrific record at UW. I wonder if it's a racial thing, a different era or simply reflects that some networks give their announce crews more latitude with their comment than others?

For the record, I still despise Tyrone Willingham. It's one thing to be an incompetent coach but Willingham burned red-shirt freshmen by playing them in games that he knew he was going to lose at the end of the season. It was Willingham's "scorched earth" program where he wanted to make it harder for his successor to win games by burning up his player's eligibility.