Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default '11 Grand Cherokee Updates

I wanted to start a thread in the public section of the forum and compare notes on what everyone's hearing about the '11 Grand Cherokee.

Here are a few questions to get the thread started:
  • How have the allocations been?
  • Is Chrysler building the V6 Pentastar version or just the Hemi V-8?
  • Are there any other significant equipment restrictions?
  • Have you had customers asking about the '11 Grand Cherokee?
  • Any ETA on the arrival of the first pre-specs?
Concerning the last point has anyone heard if Chrysler plans to keep the '11 GCs in containment? At one point I thought Chrysler would keep all the production in containment until the Dealer Drive-Away events but I now question whether that's correct given that the Drive-Away is only being done on a small scale.

Do the DMs seem to know anything, or are they keeping a low profile?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
MisterM

In looking around the various Jeep message boards there seems to be a lot of interest in the new Jeep. But potential customers are discouraged with the lack of official information available. No new images, no pricing, no idea of when they can be ordered. With production starting in less than a week the "secrecy" and quietness is truly baffling for such an important new vehicle.
MisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Txflyer

We only got allocated one. I put in two (one Hemi, one V6) and they picked up the V6.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
ohiobuckeyes

In the webcast yesterday Fred said that a new marketing campain will show the over all image of CHRYSLER GROUP and a preview of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Along with other ads in the the major publications like "Redbook" and "AARP". This is to be released in mid May.....

Only allocated 1and only ordered 1.

Last edited by ohiobuckeyes; 05-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
In the webcast yesterday Fred said that a new marketing campain will show the over all image of CHRYSLER GROUP and a preview of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Along with other ads in the the major publications like "Redbook" and "AAPR". This is to be released in mid May.....
Wasn't there a rumor that only 30% of the dealers watched the Diaz webcasts - maybe this is the reason why. It's 2010 for heaven's sake, who still advertises in magazines like "Redbook" and "AARP"?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Wasn't there a rumor that only 30% of the dealers watched the Diaz webcasts - maybe this is the reason why. It's 2010 for heaven's sake, who still advertises in magazines like "Redbook" and "AARP"?
Really 30% now I thought Chrysler was watching who viewed Fred's Webcast. I just picked PG Magz that were in my waiting area.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
MisterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Along with other ads in the the major publications like "Redbook" and "AAPR"...
Did you mean "AARP"? This is becoming one of the strangest launches in Chrysler history.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM View Post
This is becoming one of the strangest launches in Chrysler history.
I agree.

While I hope Chrysler has some fantastic launch plans that will give the '11 GC the attention it deserves, I become more skeptical with each passing day.

At one point I was very supportive of Dealer Drive-Away events that would generate excitement on a regional level but Chrysler has pretty much clustered that idea up by only inviting select dealers in certain Business Centers.

By all accounts it appears the '11 GC is a fantastic vehicle - I sure hope it doesn't falter because Marchionne wants to prove to North America that he knows a better way to market vehicles.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
MisterM

Quote:
I become more skeptical with each passing day...
Next Monday should prove interesting - this is the launch/Job1 date and I can't see them not making some sort of press event/release with photos of the first one rolling off the line. If this day is "skipped", I and I'm sure many others will be speechless.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is the end of June still the ETA?

Is the end of June still the ETA for the '11 GC?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Ralph

http://www.windsorstar.com/cars/Chry...954/story.html

According to this article, it is late summer or early fall now.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
http://www.windsorstar.com/cars/Chry...954/story.html

Wow, that's just crazy. What other OEM goes out of their way to shoo away a photographer who's taking a picture of a vehicle that's already in production? That's insane.

This whole mess is starting to remind me of Marchionne's strategy last year where he was silent for six months and then held a massive eight hour long press conference to reveal "the plan." While "the plan" had some great points the media resented the fact they had to wait six months to hear about it and most of the reports were either derogatory or dismissive.

I don't understand the secrecy behind the '11 GC and I'm becoming a bigger skeptic as each day passes.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
MisterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I don't believe that information is correct. Production is still set to start Monday 10th.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
MisterM

Quote:
I don't understand the secrecy behind the '11 GC and I'm becoming a bigger skeptic as each day passes.
What the??, they had to sign confidentiality agreements???!!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM View Post
I don't believe that information is correct. Production is still set to start Monday 10th.
Yeah, I wondered about that too.

Unless Chrysler decides to keep the '11 GCs in containment for an extended period of time my bet is the original ETA of late June is still correct.

Marchionne and Manley have made comments that the '11 GC won't be released until it's 100% perfect but I doubt it would result in a delay as long as the one suggested by the Windsor Star.

That said, my bet is the reporter included that statement in his story as a left handed jab at Chrysler. Essentially the message to Chrysler is if they intend to keep the media in the dark they'll have to live with the consequences. In this case the media will start reporting assumptions instead of facts - to the detriment of Chrysler.