Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
atikovi

Default Craigslist to start charging $5 for dealer ads

Guess it was inevitable.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

I hadn't heard about that. Do you have a link to a news report or something from Craigslist?

We did have a thread earlier this year that mostly concluded that Craigslist had lost a lot of its appeal over the years because there's so much SPAM and so many shady deals.

I do agree it seems inevitable that Craigslist would start charging for their service sooner or later. Just the other day someone was asking me how Craigslist made their money and I explained that with the exception of some real estate ads in certain markets Craigslist really didn't have a revenue stream.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
atikovi

http://www.craigslist.org/about/ctd
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Thanks for the link - I guess there's no question about what's going to happen when the word comes directly from Craigslist.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
4x4AutoSales

I don't know how you Americans use craigslist..it's one of the WORST websites I have ever seen in my entire life. Absolutely NOBODY in Canada uses this junk website. We have alternatives like kijiji etc.
4x4AutoSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4AutoSales View Post
I don't know how you Americans use craigslist..it's one of the WORST websites I have ever seen in my entire life. Absolutely NOBODY in Canada uses this junk website. We have alternatives like kijiji etc.
When Craigslist was first gaining popularity it was a great website for selling cars - that was several years ago.

I agree that Craigslist has lost its appeal and there are so many scam advertisements it's almost impossible for an honest dealer to compete.

Concerning Kijiji, I remember when Ebay first launched that venture and haven't checked it out since. I'll have to check it out and see if many dealers in my market area are using it.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
adastra

$5 ads certainly changed craigslist for the better. I get several calls a day from ads, and is bringing in most of my sales.

The bid downfall was those companies who offered their craigslist services, using automation to load up a dealers entire inventory EVERY DAY. It was moronic. People couldn't look by dealer at all it was so spammed up.

I'm very happy they drove those spammer companies out of business.
adastra is offline   Reply With Quote